FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color renders slightly different on a different computer

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Lawheed
Color renders slightly different on a different computer
on Jul 18, 2017 at 3:11:13 pm

Hello,

I'm having an issue where someone did color for a project on their machine, saved the project, sent it to me, I opened it up and rendered it out and it's looking slightly more magenta than when he renders it out (more golden). The more golden is the one we want but we can't figure out why it's rendering out differently.

We're both on a MAC with with same version or Premiere Pro (2017.1.2)
We checked to make sure the order of color effects stayed the same and it does.
We made sure to have the same export settings for our video and multiplexing.
We made sure our sequence settings stayed the same
We are using Alexa_Default_LogC2Rec709 as a LUT. Could it be that our computers are reading that differently?
My GFX card is AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
His is AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
I don't know what if any of that information matters but let me know if you need any more.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Color renders slightly different on a different computer
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:13:27 pm

Different OS's, different GFX cards, and different monitors could explain why you're seeing the differences. But more importantly, I'm assuming the colorist is working on calibrated monitors, are your monitors also calibrated?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jessica Lawheed
on Jul 18, 2017 at 5:50:43 pm

His monitors are calibrated, but I'm looking at the difference between a render he makes and a render I make both pulled up on my screen. His render is more golden and mine is slightly more magenta. I'm just trying to figure out who the render is different than his.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 19, 2017 at 4:49:41 am

Premiere actually does grade you-get-what-you-see in sRGB if your monitor is also calibrated sRGB. premiere will ignore any other color profiles. quicktime is not sRGB(0-255 gamma 2.2). quicktime(depending on the version), RGB values are 16-235 with various gamma styles like 1.8 or 2.4.

Furthermore, if you colorgrade in Premiere and your monitor is not sRGB, you will get incorrect grades because you are grading in the wrong native color profile. VLC can match premiere perfectly if you set its video output to OpenGL. Also, nvidia control panel needs to be set to 0-255 so that your gfx card doesn't change your RGB values in media playback.

Also,
external displays are still limited by adobe's mercury transmit protocol that is hard coded to rec. 709 so you'll need to match that too.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 19, 2017 at 12:11:55 pm

As a test, have him render an export through Adobe Media Encoder and set the processing to software only (not Open CL, Metal, etc). You do the same. Do the renders as uncompressed Quicktime. See what the result is for both on your machine.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]