FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware for Playback

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Lewis
Hardware for Playback
on Jul 14, 2017 at 5:36:55 pm

Hello! I'm wondering if any of you have had great results using any 3rd party hardware for playback to a TV using Premiere? Right now I have a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor connecting my iMac to a TV being used as a client monitor. The signal quality is great, however the TV feed is out of sync with my program monitor in Premiere. Once I start playback, the program monitor starts immediately and the TV has about a 1 second delay before it starts. Has anyone worked with playback hardware without this issue? Or alternatively, does anyone know any workarounds to fix this issue?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Hardware for Playback
on Jul 14, 2017 at 6:42:20 pm

1) How are you connecting and monitoring audio?

2) Have you checked in PP to make certain you're not dropping frames?

3) What are the specs of the video you tested (codec, resolution, etc.)?

4) What type of media drive(s) are you playing from?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Greg Lewis
on Jul 15, 2017 at 12:05:16 am

In response to your questions, I have the audio also outputting through the Black Magic device and there are no error messages for dropped frames. This is an animatic, so I'm reading 1920x1080 JPEGs off a RAID-1 Thunderbolt G-RAID drive. And just to specify, signal on the TV is in sync with the audio running to the TV. It is the program monitor and TV sync that is the issue.

As of now, I'm thinking the delay might be due to media buffering on the Black Magic device. This is an animatic, so I have cuts every few frames, so it is switching back and forth between a lot of media.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 14, 2017 at 7:48:03 pm

Are both the Audio and Video delayed on your TV and if so are they both delayed the same amount. In short are they still in sync on your TV.

Even Avid with Avid Hardware has a small delay between the Viewer inside of Avid and it's output hardware. DaVinci Resolve does as well with Blackmagic hardware so this is not out of the ordinary.

What is out of the ordinary is that it's delayed by about a full second.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Greg Lewis
on Jul 15, 2017 at 12:09:27 am

Thanks for the response Brent. The audio and video to the TV is in sync with itself. It is the program monitor that is out of sync with that feed. I'm thinking the full second might be due to media buffering on the device. I'm editing an animatic, so I have cuts every few frames. It might just be a lot of media to switch between. Clearing the media cache makes playback slightly more responsive, which would support the buffering theory.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 15, 2017 at 12:45:33 am

My Intensity Shuttle (USB 3.0) does not have this problem. Are you on a Mac or PC?

Return to posts index

Greg Lewis
on Jul 17, 2017 at 1:16:45 am

Mac.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 17, 2017 at 3:31:39 am

There maybe some setting in the Mac OS X control panel you could adjust. I just bought a Mac Mini but I have not had time to test it out. I will soon (this weekend I hope).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]