FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio levels of a certain clip are inconsistent on different systems

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marisa Thilman
Audio levels of a certain clip are inconsistent on different systems
on Jul 13, 2017 at 12:14:33 am

Hello,
I am an assistant editor on a feature documentary having some issues with a particular archival clip's audio. This clip was ripped from youtube originally and then we ripped the higher res DVD today. When I play the clip on my Mac, the audio levels are fine. When I give the clip to my editor, it's so quiet on his system (Mac Pro/trash can) you can barely hear it (practically silent). It's this way with both the low res Youtube clip and the higher res DVD clip. Here's the youtube clip:

The specs of this clip as ripped from Youtube are: MPEG-4 movie, 480x360, H.264, 2 Audio channels, AAC, 44100 Kz, Stereo (L R)
Seems pretty normal to me for an older archival clip.

The clip is quiet in every software we can possibly think of to open it with. We are editing in Premiere CC 2017 and when imported it is quiet there. But there's no way it can be Premiere's fault because it's quiet in Quicktime, VLC, MPEG Streamclip, even just in the finder. When he goes to you youtube link online.... it's quiet. If he watches any other Youtube clip, the play fine. All other videos (in premiere and in the finder) on his system are playing fine. It's as if his system just hates this particular clip.

Yes, I have tried transcoding in MPEG, Encoder, and Compressor to every logical audio codec possible. I tried renaming the clip, just for fun. I tried exporting just the audio as an .aiff. If I export it as an mp3 and import into iTunes... it's quiet.
This isn't my first feature doc and I'm usually pretty good at trouble shooting but I have never seen anything like this. Can a clip hold onto such metadata that would make it play this way, even after transcoding?

When my editor leaves for the day I will jump on his system and add his computer specs to the thread. Also, I know this isn't directly Premiere related, I wasn't sure where else to post this issue. Apologies!

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Marisa

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Audio levels of a certain clip are inconsistent on different systems
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:53:52 am

Is this legal - cleared with rights holders? It reads like the source has quiet audio ☺

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Audio levels of a certain clip are inconsistent on different systems
on Jul 13, 2017 at 2:10:10 pm

I would take the audio into Audition and check the phase, make sure there isn't a phase problem cancelling out. You could also try - in PPro - CTRL-Click clip in bin and Modify Audio Channels. Make it 2 channel mono. See what happens.
Let us know!
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]