FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting CS5.5 to Recognize Radeon Pro 580?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec Eagon
Getting CS5.5 to Recognize Radeon Pro 580?
on Jul 11, 2017 at 11:32:30 pm

Hey Crew,

I am very new to CUDA/Open CL, and GPU acceleration for that matter, so bare with me...

I just bought a new top of the line iMac, these are the specs:

4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
64GB Ram

I am in the habit of not upgrading things, particularly NLEs and software that simply works. Also, I don't have internet in my studio (I get so so much done this way), so connecting to the internet for CC programs is rather cumbersome. I still edit most of my stuff off of FCP 6, as the "assembly" nature of "exporting self-contained" still saves me massive amounts of time since I am merely working with native Pro Res HQ files 99% of the time.

I recently acquired an old version of CS5.5 Production Suite and installed it on my new iMac so that I can use Premiere to mount the NeatVideo grain reducing plugin since it FCP6 will not take it.

I tried to get PP CS5.5 to recognize the Radeon, but it will not show up.

A Few Questions...

1. Is this even possible? If so, how?--Do I just need a CUDA or OpenCL driver?--Is that "the bridge"?--I've heard of some hacks for older versions of Premiere to edit text files to include specific graphics cards...
2. If not possible, I can mount Neat Video as a node in the newest version Davinci Resovle ---which should be able to utilize the graphics card, as well as all my ram (at least to my knowledge)---would this be recommended?
3. Could somebody explain to me what the purpose of this whole Graphics Card Acceleration obsession is--4 years ago, using Compressor 6 and an 8-Core/32gb Ram MacPro, that thing would go to work and use every single ounce of RAM and render huge projects in minutes (you could see ever single shot rendering seperately on the desktop and the computer sounded like a jet). Why does Premiere use so little RAM to render? What's better about 8GB of Ram in a Graphics card when you have 64gb for the rest of the computer? I'm a little confused...

*Oh, one other note, my iMac is labeled a Quad-Core, but when I open the CPU in Premiere it shows 8 Cores....?

Thanks so much!
Appreciate any help on this matter whatsoever. Catching up to 2017.
-Alec

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Getting CS5.5 to Recognize Radeon Pro 580?
on Jul 12, 2017 at 1:01:57 am

If this new Mac is running EL Capitan or Sierra I'm amazed that you were even able to install both FCP-6 and CS-5.5.

Answers to your points.

1- It's likely not possible. CUDA is for Nvidia GPU's and OpenCL is for AMD GPU's although Nvidia GPU's can use OpenCL. OpenCL is built in and CUDA must be install separately (see point 2). You may be able to hack CS-5.5 but it may be incredibly unstable.

2- Use Resolve at least it's not 10+ years old. Once again choose OpenCL because your system has an AMD GPU even though it does install the CUDA Drivers.

3- The whole GPU thing is about a few things. When using newer codecs that are highly compressed like say 100mbit/s Sony 4K or RED Media you need all the help you can get for rendering and playback. Since a GPU is made specifically to process video it's far more efficient at doing the same things at the same clock speed of a CPU. The number of simultaneous lanes/threads that a GPU can process video at can be a couple of hundred times more than a CPU's. GPU's also allow certain types of noise reduction and other features specific to video that CPU's don't. More RAM is better no matter where it is, of course how much GPU RAM that's used will be dependant on the Application your running. Premiere uses very little RAM because it's just using it for Caching. It may however be using more than you think and you can get a general idea of what it's actually using in Activity Monitor.

Lastly, you have 4 Cores but because of Intels Hyper Threading you have 8 Threads and not 8 Cores.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:20:36 pm

Brent,

Thanks so much for all the info. This helps corroborate a lot of things for me. Really appreciate it.

-Alec

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 12, 2017 at 9:09:06 am

If I remember correctly 5.5 only had limited CUDA support so no OpenCL at all. You'll need to use a later Premiere if you wan't to use GPU accelerated effects. CUDA is Nvidia only.

[Alec Eagon] "I am in the habit of not upgrading things"

Hardware and software manufacturers are. CS 5.5 is 7 years old and basically dead in development sense. It won't support any latest stuff.

[Alec Eagon] "Oh, one other note, my iMac is labeled a Quad-Core, but when I open the CPU in Premiere it shows 8 Cores....?"

It's a quadcore with hyperthreading. Every actual core can be virtually split so you'll have more cores more multithreaded applications.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:26:34 pm

5.5 support but 3 cards: gtx 285, quadro FX 4800 and 4000.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 13, 2017 at 3:51:54 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jul 13, 2017 at 3:56:11 am

[Brent Marginet] "5.5 support but 3 cards: gtx 285, quadro FX 4800 and 4000."

Not quite sure if this is a statement or a question.
Can you elaborate.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:46:35 pm

It means these are the only cards that will give gpu acceleration in Pre miere 5.5.
There is no hack you can perform in 5.5 to get other cards to give you gpu acc.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:29:56 pm

Thanks for the response! This all helps!

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:29:26 pm
Last Edited By Alec Eagon on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:36:27 pm

Tero,
Thanks for the response. I have little concern for trying to fix (update) things that "ain't broke", particularly when my editing/processing of Pro Res source material has not changed in close to a decade. Adobe and Apple's concerns for updating their software systems every quarter rarely align with my needs, actually I can't ever remember a time when they did align, at least until now when utilizing my GPU for rendering a really large old grainy project for the archives has become a temporary need. But, I realize most on this forum are not like me.

Return to posts index

Alec Eagon
on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:31:37 pm
Last Edited By Alec Eagon on Jul 13, 2017 at 8:36:04 pm

Thanks Everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]