FORUMS: list search recent posts

Option-drag duplicates separate clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Solterbeck
Option-drag duplicates separate clip
on Jul 11, 2017 at 9:26:47 pm

I like to use blank clips (black video, color matte, adj layers, etc) to make notes in my timeline. For instance, I'll name a group of clips "Group 1" with a deactivated clip above my group. Then when I need a new group, I option-drag my Group 1 and rename the new clip Group 2, and so on. Or so I used to. Now, option-drag has a new behavior (v11.1.2, perhaps?). It renames ALL other clips that derived from that duplicated one. I seriously hated Premiere until I figured out option-drag 6 years ago (in Final Cut, you used to just copy-paste footage and name it whatever you want, which is ideal). Now they've taken that away? Why? What behavior are they possibly suppressing by taking away option-drag? Or am I tripping? Did I turn something off? Please don't tell me I can just make a new empty piece of footage. It should not take 3 steps and 50 million pointless clips in my bin to make timeline notes. I use this for more than just making notes as well, titles, versioning, I use it constantly.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Option-drag duplicates separate clip
on Jul 12, 2017 at 6:18:36 pm

I hope that I understand what your trying to do, if this doesn't help please explain a bit more.

Do you mean Option Drag as in making a Duplicate of the selected items from one bin to another.
If so then the current version uses CMD Drag.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Solterbeck
on Jul 12, 2017 at 6:53:59 pm

Howdy - I'm referring strictly to the timeline. When you option-drag a clip, it duplicates it. Always has, and that's fine. The issue is (which I think is new in the latest release because I use this so much I would've noticed), when you change the name of the new clip, the name of the old clip changes as well.

Say you've got a graded adjustment layer named Day for Night and you need another section called Interiors. You want to option-drag your layer to make another one, and then you'd want to rename it so you can see quickly what layers are affecting what clips. You no longer can, because you can't quickly duplicate and rename a clip. You have to start over with a new layer. It's not a lot of steps to make new pieces, but I use this for everything and it's a major hassle to not be able to rename clips. I use it for titles, supers, marking sections, etc. Make sense? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:01:07 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:23:18 pm

Makes sense and I can absolutely see this as being a huge time saver.

I just did a test and it's not renaming the old clips so it seems to be working the way you want it to on my system.
I am testing it on a Mac so if your on a PC maybe it's only a new Windows related bug.
I also don't see any Preferences that would change this behaviour anywhere.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Solterbeck
on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:53:33 pm

Ok thanks for checking. I've checked on two systems but both are mac on the same OS. One other thing I've added though, are the free versions of the Mettle plugs, which will be integrated later this year. I wonder if that's doing it? Oh fun, the plug-in game. I'm also having an issue with the Export window not remembering my Source Range preference, so maybe this is all coming from the same place. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]