FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple problem. Project panel cuts off bottom thumbnails

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Simple problem. Project panel cuts off bottom thumbnails
on Jul 10, 2017 at 12:41:03 pm

Everything is running beautifully right now but there's one problem that's bugged me since two PC's back. The project panel always cuts off the bottom thumbnails and it won't let me drag it bigger even though there's plenty of room. See the attached photo. I can place my cursor over the bottom blue line and I get the dragging icon, but it won't drag. Sometimes there are a whole bunch of files below that I can't access. The scrollbar is missing. Any ideas? Since this has happened on 3 different PC's now I doubt it's a fluke with just this latest one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Simple problem. Project panel cuts off bottom thumbnails
on Jul 10, 2017 at 5:03:20 pm

Can't offer any solution to your current woe other than to suggest resetting the workspace. It's. Minor pain to rebuild it the way you want. But you can also save it and other variations once they're set up.

But I'm curious -- are you getting a good-looking key? That's a REALLY bright green screen background an oftentimes they can work against you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Jul 10, 2017 at 5:12:34 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But I'm curious -- are you getting a good-looking key? That's a REALLY bright green screen background an oftentimes they can work against you."

I can see the spill in the thumbnails :-)

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 10, 2017 at 5:43:28 pm

Hey guys. Yeah I reset to color space and then set that up to my preferred layout and, for now, I have the bottom of my thumbnails back. Thanks for confirming I did the right thing, Dave.

As for the keys, those are free green screen clips I incorporate into my videos. They really are that green and, yes, they key out nicely. What you're seeing, Vince, is a color grade I added to them to match the background I'm putting them into. They aren't really coming out that greenish. See the screen capture. I'm working on a spoof of Haunted Collector.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Jul 10, 2017 at 6:21:02 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Jul 10, 2017 at 6:25:24 pm

Hey Duke,

I hope I'm not being too harsh but If I'm being honest, those actors are far from being cleanly keyed out.
I know I might be picky, but if this was a paid job, my clients would send me back to the drawing board instantly.

In theory, your screen should around 50 IRE or below, and saturation should be a lot lower, but it's not an exact science.

The spill I'm talking about will especially affect your edges (See white outline and rough hairline).
You should also block off/drape any areas where the talent isn't framed, then mask it out in post.

Here's what you should expect, these were done within Premiere UltraKey due to budget constraints, shot in 4K on FS7.

http://imgur.com/a/wfFm9

http://imgur.com/a/cnzR8

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 10, 2017 at 7:35:50 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "In theory, your screen should around 50 IRE or below, and saturation should be a lot lower, but it's not an exact science.
"

You're certainly right about that!

I've had success with 65-70 IRE, and the saturation wasn't all that relevant. But I use Keylight in AE, and other keyers are different, and I go with 4-2-2 color resolution because I have to, and it works well for my needs.

No "one size fits all" with this stuff!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 10, 2017 at 7:44:32 pm

You guys have obviously never checked out my previous work. Yes, I know my keys are not Spielberg worthy. Up until now I've had to do my videos on my i5 12gig intel 3d graphics card PC. It took forever just to open Primatte, let alone tweak it. Plus those are youtube clips, 720p if I'm lucky. And, bottom line, my videos were meant to be kind of cheesy. I'm hoping to up my game now that I have a decent workstation. But nothing will help with those 720p youtube samples.

Anyway, this is what, for me, is a good production:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 10, 2017 at 8:01:36 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 10, 2017 at 8:15:31 pm

Well, you gotta know, Duke -- chroma keys are a pain.

It doesn't matter what software you run. It's a fact of life. Sometimes you're certain you got it right, and then there's this one spot that looks like crap. So you have to mask it in AE, and do roto on it. Maybe. It all depends on the shot. If you want your shots to look like the weather guy showing you a storm, it gets lot easier -- they won't look real, because they don't have to! Who has a weather map behind them in real life? They might have a building behind them, which is another consideration.

Me, I have to make my keys look REAL a lot of the time. Like the subject is actually there. Which means more work, and more pain. I'm used to the pain, I guess....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 10, 2017 at 8:49:08 pm

Well, Dave, the 39 people (most of whom have been me) who've watched that video over the past 8 months or so haven't complained yet ;-)

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 10, 2017 at 8:52:03 pm

btw I'm not done tweaking even those keyed elements. Right now that one clip looks even better than the still I posted. I'll link to the finished product when I'm done. I'm telling you right now it's not going to be up to you guys' standards, but I'd actually like your opinions on the first video I'll ever do on my new workstation, keeping in mind my lower expectations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]