FORUMS: list search recent posts

premiere pro exporting, why does my finished file look so much better on a mac?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh Hill
premiere pro exporting, why does my finished file look so much better on a mac?
on Jul 7, 2017 at 4:43:39 pm

I just finished editing a panel discussion where I shot using a C300 and Canon 5DMKIII as a second camera.

I ingested everything and then exported the finished file downscaled from 1920x1080 to 720x1280 h264.

What I would really like to know is why-

When exporting from Premiere Pro , does my finished clip look so much better on a Mac over my PC or is this just down to the monitor?

(I have tested it on 2 pc's on the mac it looks good but with the pc's just so-so?)

Thank you.

"There are those who may,
And those who will,
Or so they say.
Lastly there are those special few,
Who say nothing -
But in their actions DO! (HH)

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: premiere pro exporting, why does my finished file look so much better on a mac?
on Jul 7, 2017 at 6:00:41 pm

What do you mean by better, your post is basically saying nothing.

Better resolution.
Better colour, etc. etc.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: premiere pro exporting, why does my finished file look so much better on a mac?
on Jul 7, 2017 at 6:04:12 pm

Video playing software is an issue...monitors are an issue...pretty much every different variable is an issue. A file will look washed out on Quicktime, but great in VLC. And yes, different monitors will show different colors and different quality. I had two different monitors on the same computer once and it was HORRIBLE...they didn't match. I had to go get another of the same brand. Go to a computer store and look at all the monitors...if they show the same thing (they often do), you'll see a difference in quality on all of them. And then how that monitor is calibrated on the system is a point. And yes, Windows vs Mac is a big point.

And then there's the issue of web browsers...upload a file to Vimeo, and if you look at it on Chrome, it looks better than it does on Safari, and Firefox. Their built in players are slightly different.

When I work on my projects, I output to a broadcast monitor via a BMD card. Looks great. I export that as a full res file and deliver that to the network. But then from there, they compress it, and stream it to various cable companies, who have their own compression for delivery. So what a producer in NY sees on his TV is very different than what I see on mine. Not only because of the cable company compression, but also his TV...it's different from mine. And might not be calibrated, or calibrated different. Also different brand, so different colors. Go to Best Buy, look at the wall of TVs...all different looks.

The best you can do is make it look good on your system...hopefully properly calibrated so you know that what you have looks good. HOW it looks once you release it into the wild is largely out of your control. Yeah, I hate that too.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:42:37 pm

Oh yeah, Macs and PC's display Video at a different Gamma as well so that doesn't help matters either.

Computer monitors can't be trusted in any way to show you what your Video truly looks like.

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
on Jul 8, 2017 at 12:00:22 am

Thank you, Shane,

Yes, it's calibrated all three them but just looking at the video export files on the pc's seems a little dull, by comparison, I am convinced it's the display difference with the desktop monitors and that of the Mac book pro's sleek glossy retina screen.

I know what you mean by having so many variables and knowing which ones to tweak just right and those best left alone.

I suppose at some point I will upgrade these monitors to see what I am actually doing as although they are calibrated they are around 6 years old now not bad for 2 x HP LP 2475's .

Kudos to you sir!

Hugh

"There are those who may,
And those who will,
Or so they say.
Lastly there are those special few,
Who say nothing -
But in their actions DO! (HH)

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:37:13 am

[Hugh Hill] "I suppose at some point I will upgrade these monitors to see what I am actually doing as although they are calibrated they are around 6 years old now not bad for 2 x HP LP 2475's ."

Upgrading your monitors is not really a solution to your problem because you are upgrading from Computer Monitors to new Computer Monitors. Computer monitors are ridiculously inaccurate so if you have a decent TV you'd be better to send it calibration charts and get it setup as accurate as possible. Even different video cards give different results, so save a calibrated preset for each computer and then you will at least have some constancy. I've even found that you will get different results from different ports on a given video card. A DVI Port will be different than the HDMI Port and again even varies from a direct Display Port connection to one with a DP to DVI or HDMI Adapter. So always use the same port and cable configuration if you do do this.

In my case I really couldn't afford it at the time however I had no choice but to purchase a Flanders Scientific CM-250 which is a $6500US Broadcast/On Set Reference Monitor. Thing is, it pays for itself every time I have to master a new show or movie and find colour or image issues. Since that purchase I have not had a single QC fail because of colour or image problems and some of those QC's can be up to a 2 to $3000 hit plus of course redoing everything.

I'm not bragging, I'm just stuck in a position where that monitor is a necessity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]