FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro and SDD. Not real improvement?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javi Sobremazas
Premiere Pro and SDD. Not real improvement?
on Jul 6, 2017 at 4:47:33 pm

Hi there forum,

First of all, hello, this is my first message here. My name is Javi and I'm a freelance filmmaker from Spain.

Well, I'm going to start with a small problem I have. A year ago I updated my second HDD to a SSD (Samsung EVO 850) and I never felt that I was having a big performance improvement, really. If I copy a big file from my SSD into my C: drive or vice versa (M.2 SSD) I get good speed rate, like 300-400 MB/s. BUT, when I use Premiere (loading projects, editing, rendering, exporting...) the rate never gets past 80 MB/s according to windows task manager. It looks like Premiere doesn't know how to take advantage of my SSD. Does it sound stupid?

I tried updating Premiere, Windows and drivers and still the same. My machine (it's a laptop):

Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700HQ
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 4096 MB GDDR5
128 Transcend m.2 SSD (C Drive)
1TB Samsung 850 EVO (Scratch Disk)

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Premiere Pro and SDD. Not real improvement?
on Jul 6, 2017 at 5:17:55 pm

Just to be sure. . .

OS, Premiere Pro and other apps are on the C drive, right?

Second drive is also connected on the internal SATA bus?

You list it as a "scratch drive". What precisely are you placing on the second drive?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Javi Sobremazas
on Jul 6, 2017 at 8:27:52 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for replying. Yes, OS, Premiere and all software is installed on C: (which is also a fast SSD, by the way). Everything else (Video files, Project files, Previews...) ist in the Samsung SSD.

As I said, when I copy files back and forth on windows between both drives I get good speed, like constant 300MB/s or more. When I use Premiere, the speed on the Samsung never gets past 80MB/s or so. This happens with different projects which have all kind of footage: Prores 422, HD, 4K, compressed 8 bit...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:06:44 am

Do a crystalmark hd benchmark test on the ssd

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 7, 2017 at 9:56:30 pm

Another possible reason Premiere doesn't surpass 80MB/s is because it probably doesn't need to.
If your videos are playing back fine with no lagging or stuttering then who cares what the speed is.

If the video file that's playing back is even as high as 500mbits/s that's approximately equivalent to 50MB/s so other than some extra for caching that's pretty much what its going to use to play it back. If your scrubbing really fast Premiere will be skipping frames so you will still likely not see more than 80MB/s. If your really want to test it, playback an Uncompressed 4K DPX Sequence.

This point your making would be like my car burning 300 Litres per hour when it only needs to burn 10.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:06:48 am

What Brent said, plus the other things you mention (loading projects, rendering, exporting, etc.,) are more dependent on your CPU, RAM, and GPU than on your storage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]