FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings for faster export / DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylie Murphy
Settings for faster export / DVD
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:22:10 am

Hello!

I'm currently trying to export a video and it's taking a very long time. I think I may be going about this the completely wrong way, so feel free to stop me at any moment as I describe what I have done:

I shot an hour and a half long show on a Canon 5d Mark III and a Panasonic G7 in 4k. In the timeline, I matched the sequence settings to the Canon 5d HD footage and scaled down the 4k footage to fit. I am trying to export this cut (rather simple, just cutting between the two cameras and one audio file) but my export times are 8 - 10 hours long. I tried exporting it overnight and there was an error halfway through. I can't keep spending 10 hours hoping it goes through uninterrupted because I'm running out of time here.

Ultimately I need to put this on a DVD. I had read about exporting as the MPEG-2 DVD format, so that is what I tried that gave me a 10 hour export time.

I feel like there should be a simpler / faster way to do it. My computer handles 4k footage faster than it is handling this project. Granted, it has exported 4k footage for 10 minute projects, but it can usually do that in around 10 to 15 minutes total.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I change my sequence settings? What should my export settings be? How should I export this if I want to put it on a DVD?

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Settings for faster export / DVD
on Jul 6, 2017 at 4:56:23 am

Check the crash log. If you can't render out a prores, dnxhd, or cineform without crashing, render out a png sequence and see where the frame count stops to find the bug. then render around it and merge the audio.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 6, 2017 at 5:45:41 am

Exporting to MPEG-2 is incredibly slow so avoid using it.

DVD's are MPEG-2 but the exported MPEG-2 file from Premiere will not be a proper DVD Transport Stream file. It will be a single file and if you look in the VideoTS folder of a DVD you will see that there are a few files in there with the largest ones being about 1gb. DVD transport streams have a maximum size of about 1gb so they use file spanning.

What I'm getting at here is that no matter how you export you will have to do a two pass encode anyway. I will give you an example of what I do when making auto start DVD's.

I export to ProRes LT with 6 to 8 seconds of black at the start and end of the show first. The 6 to 8 seconds is there because many DVD players skip the very start of playback and so some of your show would then be cut off. Then I drop the ProRes file into Toast Titanium and set it up to Create an Auto Start DVD with no menus. This ends up taking far less time and system resources. This is on a Mac but I'm sure there's a similar way to do it on a PC.

For Authored DVD's bring the ProRes File into Encore.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Kylie Murphy
on Jul 6, 2017 at 12:57:15 pm

Hey thanks for the response!! This is very helpful.

Do you make any custom changes to the ProRes LT setting or leave it as is? Also, where is the ProRes LT setting? I can't seem to find it. And is this possible to do without Toast Titanium? I don't have that software.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:46:48 pm

Didn't I read you are on a Windows machine? You won't have ProRes as an option. I would say to try and render out to something that matches your sequence first - 1920x1080 (I am assuming). Something like DNxHD. Get through a full render first! Then crunch that down to your SD MPEG-2. You will have 2 renders, but it sounds like you have an issue with a plugin or effect or graphic somewhere in the middle that you may have to deal with - if your render keeps failing there.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:48:27 am

Of course it will take a long time: you are downscaling twice. First from 4K to 1920 and then to SD size.
Post screenshot of export settings and what are your computer specs.
If using Encore it performs best when having video and audio separate.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Kylie Murphy
on Jul 6, 2017 at 12:48:41 pm

Thanks for the response!

Is there any way to not downscale twice? Like if I put all the footage in a sequence with SD settings would that help at all? I rendered all of the footage in the 1920 sequence.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:31:27 pm

Reading on the other forum: it all boils down you not having sufficient hardware to do the job. (no MPE hardware).
You are stuck with long export times.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]