FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about CUDA

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Question about CUDA
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:16:30 am

After I installed my GPU (NVidia GeForce GTX 1050) and updated the drivers, I couldn't find the CUDA driver for the life of me, unlike the day before when I installed it on my other PC that I brought back. I just found the driver and the patch 2, but currently my PC does use CUDA to encode in AME. Should I install the CUDA driver if the PC is already able to use CUDA to encode? I'll just keep the installers on my desktop until I hear from somebody.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Question about CUDA
on Jul 6, 2017 at 4:35:24 am

If CUDA is not installed then your PC is not really using CUDA.
It's therefore not using your GPU at all for the Mercury Playback Engine and Rendering.
AME and the other Adobe products don't seem to give an error in many cases if you have selected CUDA for your Mercury Playback Engine and CUDA is not installed.

I would suggest installing these drivers.
If you would prefer not to then choose OpenCL.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:06:11 am

Aha! That explains why sometimes it said I didn't have CUDA and other times it just "used" it. I will install now. Thanks, Brent.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:50:24 am

It says it will replace my current Nvidia driver. Is that correct? Should I replace the driver or just install everything except the driver?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 1:57:54 pm

You know, I went ahead and installed and now the PC is acting like total shit. Encodes fail, PPro takes forever to open or close, I re-installed the correct driver for my card and 2 minutes in the screens went black and stayed that way. I had to unplug the PC twice and re-start, the second time I hit F2 until I got the BIOS, then just clicked yes on reset and save and luckily I got my graphics back. I did a system restore to yesterday when everything worked perfectly, but once again a simple 45 second test video "Failed" to encode, and I had to jump through major hoops just to close PPro. Oh, yeah, and CUDA is no longer available since I system restored to before I installed it. I couldn't leave well enough alone, it was humming along like a champ until I decided to "improve"things. Grrrrrr......

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:16:48 pm

Encodes keep failing, so I tried to encode using Premiere Pro and got this error message one frame into the encode:

WT, uh, F?!?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:38:21 pm

You shouldn't have to install CUDA separately. Are you installing the toolkit?
Install your graphics card, update it. Update your Adobe software.
Things should be good.
TC

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:42:49 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:47:10 pm

You do not install a cuda driver for a gtx card on a pc.
If you are having trouble sometimes its worth to roll back the regular driver.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:48:23 pm
Last Edited By Todd Perchert on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:51:41 pm

Exactly. That's why I was trying to find out what he was doing. I'm guessing the CUDA developers toolkit.
TC

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:04:58 pm

This is the latest for the 1050 on W10.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/120486/en-us

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:24:02 pm

Thanks for the responses. I had the latest driver for the GTX 1050. Everything ran beautifully. This morning I added the CUDA full install (toolkit, driver, etc.) That's when the problems started. So I reinstalled the 1050 driver, and about 2 minutes in my two screens went black and nothing happened. I had to unplug the PC, nothing happened. The second time I did it I hit F2 until the BIOS came up, reset and saved, and this time my displays came back, but Premiere Pro and AME are running terribly.

I did a system restore to when everything was working great, but AME is still failing. It seems there's a problem with that video for some reason even though it only has some lumetri tweaks. I tried another project and it started encoding, although kind of slow for a 2 minute clip (over 20 minutes and counting) and none of the effects were added even though I had import files natively unchecked.

I don't have CUDA on the PC now after the restore, I want to re-install the right driver for the 1050 but I'm afraid the screens are going to go black again.

The latest driver shows as being the current installed driver but I had to unplug the PC before it was finished installing so I don't know if it's partly corrupted. I just should have left well enough alone, it was running great until I installed the CUDA.

So to sum up your advice (the both of your advices's) should I uninstall and re install the correct driver and leave CUDA alone?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:28:13 pm

Yes. I would uninstall the CUDA developers toolkit and your graphics driver. Then install the graphics card drivers again. Unless you are a software developer, do not install the toolkit.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:37:59 pm

Thanks. I had already uninstalled the CUDA stuff by system restore. I re-installed the correct driver using the Device Manager. Everything seems to be fine except this one extremely simple, one shot, 25 seconds video with lumetri tweaks and Cosmo plugin says it's going to take 14 hours (and rising by the second) to encode in AME. I have to assume at this point that there is something extremely weird about this clip.

Going to try another sequence and I'll report back. Thanks again for your assistance and encouragement.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 6, 2017 at 4:48:08 pm

Unless you're actually developing something then you'd be better off not installing SDKs. There's a separate CUDA driver for Mac systems only. On Windows everything you need comes with the basic Nvidia driver.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:56:20 pm

I'm apologize for helping to screw up your system.
I must be the one with the anomaly then because I could not get CUDA to work until I installed the CUDA Kit.
Maybe it's me that needs to do a clean OS Install, my system may have a driver issue then.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 5:24:01 pm

Well, everything is as it's supposed to be, GeForce 1050 driver installed, no trace of CUDA, and I just added 16 gigs of RAM for a total of 72, and AME is STILL failing on the simplest of encodes. The only one I've actually gotten to encode all the way through was a 25 second clip with NO plugins, lumetri tweaks, nothing. Just loaded the clip on the timeline and encoded it. Let's just say I'm extremely frustrated right now. On a brighter note Chrome seems to load much faster now...

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 5:43:20 pm

ok this is getting f'd up now. I deleted the driver and went to re install and the installation failed. NOW what!?!

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 6, 2017 at 6:04:02 pm
Last Edited By Ann Bens on Jul 6, 2017 at 6:08:30 pm

Clean install and use cleaner tool: both Premiere and AME.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-prob...

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 6:27:07 pm

In the process of doing that right now. PPro encoded ok, AME still failing. I'll try just AME for now. If it's still causing problems I'll do PPro too. I'll update the thread.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 6:53:56 pm

Installed. Encoded short clip, no problem, but did not include presets and lumetri tweaks. Went into preferences and unchecked import files natively, went back, started encode, failed. Went back to preferences, re-checked import files natively, started encode. FAILED!!! Grrrr....

Premiere Pro still encodes with no problem.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:09:47 pm

0K, this is where we stand right now. Premiere Pro encodes nicely. I deleted and re installed my graphics driver, deleted, re installed and updated Media Encoder. It encodes when "import files natively" is checked, which of course is no different than encoding a video clip with no tweaks to it. When I uncheck that, it fails.

I know from past experience that I'm eventually going to stumble upon the solution. I will update here for the benefit of others.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:52:18 pm

Where do you see "Import Files Natively"? Granted, I am not on the latest release of AME, still 2017.0, but I haven't heard that in 2017.1.
You might need to give your version numbers of PPro and AME and maybe describe your process of getting your sequence to AME.
TC

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:59:55 pm

Sorry, it's "Import Sequences Natively" under preferences, in the Premiere Pro section. Not "Files".

But, here is the latest, and it just keeps getting stranger. If I encode with "...Natively" CHECKED, it now encodes with all tweaks and presets intact, just as it did before when you unchecked "...Natively". But, and this is the latest kick in the nuts, as soon as you take the focus off AME, as I did just now by clicking on Chrome, AME fails! No matter what you click on, even a minimized program, AME fails. And I know it's just me because no one else has chimed in with any "Me too!"'s . This is so FREAKIN' FRUSTRATING!!!

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:04:35 pm

Mind you, I never had this problem with my previous PC, an HP Intel i5 core with 12 gigs of RAM and Intel HD graphics card. This is a Dell 8920 with i7 core build 7700, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, and 32 gigs of RAM.

I export my Premiere Pro sequence to AME the same way you and everyone else does it, click File>Export>Media then choose "Queue" to send it to AME. h264, Youtube 4K settings (1080p is no different). And, as I just said, the latest is that I can encode video with all presets, plugins and lumetri tweaks intact, and it works, BUT if I maximize or open another app (Chrome, email, bring Premiere Pro back to the front), AME fails.

I repeat, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:11:46 pm

And to further complicate matters I just created a proxy file, and bounced around different apps while AME was encoding, and it worked fine. Again, grrrrrrrrrr.....

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:15:33 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:21:00 am

Could be a sign of a gfx card / failing hard drive ☹
Did you do a burn in test with pasmark95?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 7, 2017 at 7:23:09 am

I had many of the same issues you are encountering on my PC which lead me to install the CUDA Driver Kit. This seemed to help for bit so that's why I suggested you go ahead and install It as well. Once again I do apologize for that.

I am primarily a Mac user but I have a Killer i7 System with 64gb of RAM and a GTX-980Ti in it. My main use for this system is passing off Resolve and Adobe CC Renders to it on larger projects.

Yesterday it started being a total PITA again after my so called helpful post to you. Well after a few well chosen words I held myself back from taking a hammer to it or throwing it out a 100 story window and did the next best thing.

First I reseated all of my RAM, Expanison Cards and every connector that I could lay my eyes on. Then I did a BIOS Update and Reset it to the Optimized Factory Defaults. Next I did a clean install of Windows and it's updates as well as all the drivers and Apps on an SSD.
Gonna hold onto the original boot HD until I'm definitely sure I can wipe it.

I left it to transcode about 30 Hours of RED footage and went home because at this point if it blows up I don't care anymore.

I just logged into it before I started typing this post and it hasn't crashed yet.
It also seems to be rendering about 15% faster than I last remembered.

Ok so with all I've done is it fixed and if so what fixed it.
I don't know or care but if just one of these fixed it then it wasn't a waste of half a days work on this system. Maybe the same may work for you.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:36:47 am

ok, first off, stop beating yourself up for "breaking" my PC. No matter what you said I was gonna install CUDA anyway, so the fault is all mine. Second, you and me, we gotta have a contest over who gets the most crazy when their PC's crap out on them. I have a feeling we'd scare anybody watching us half to death 😉

Chris, I bought this thing brand new on Sunday, and I also bought the graphics card and installed it myself, something that, unlike my video editing attempts, I've been doing for decades. I know to check if everything is seated properly. I also know that things today are made like garbage so the card COULD be the culprit, new as it may be. I've still got 5 days to return it for a replacement so I'll be putting it through its paces until then. The HDD's (the one that I put in myself) worked perfectly fine in the other, open box PC I bought and returned for this one (this was $1,099 when I bought the open box, $879 on Sunday when I went back to the store).

Anyway I know you guys can't help without knowing every last detail. I just woke up so I haven't done anything with it yet, but I'll be testing extensively today. Just wish it would rain so I have an excuse not to go out! As usual I'll keep the thread updated.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:54:33 pm

Well, now that I've woken up a bit I see that Premiere Pro is acting wonky now. If I try to create a new sequence from clip, it creates it in the Project window but not in the Program window and not in the timeline. I can't drag it in, double click it in, nothing. I mean, what is it about my setup that doesn't agree with Adobe software? Even photoshop takes about 40 seconds to load, and that used to load literally instantly on my baby PC.

Let me know what details you need about my setup to figure out where the incompatibility is. In the meantime I'm going to uninstall everything and re-install, as big a pain as that is.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:08:19 pm

Might be faster/easier, since you only got the computer a week ago, to wipe it and start over. Since you haven't been able to do much yet. And don't install the CUDA SDK! Any data on the on the drives, other than system drive, will be there when you get done.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:33:17 pm

I just uninstalled all adobe software, ran the creative cloud cleaner, re-installed, and am now back to square one. AME failing, Premiere Pro source and program windows going black. I...give...up... Too much aggravation for something that's only a hobby for me. Hobbies are supposed to be relaxing, right?

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:56:32 pm

I'm thinking something from the SDK is still hanging in there. Restore point doesn't revert ALL files back.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 7:11:10 pm

I brought back the 1050, got the 1050ti. Uninstalled the 1050 driver, but after I installed the card, it showed the driver for the 1050ti already installed. Do these things self install their drivers now?!?

Anyway, I'd love to say that all is well but now my friggin' 2nd HDD has disappeared, not even in disk management as a "foreign" entity. And all my video files are on it so I can't test PPro and AME until I get it seen again. I'm in no mood to shoot new video right now.

That's the latest. Oh, yeah, almost forgot....grrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 7:53:25 pm

I'm starting to feel like I'm doing plumbing work for the 3 Stooges. Got the box to see the 3rd HDD. The latest kick in the nuts? Premiere Pro says CUDA is not available on this PC so it defaulting to software, while AME has no problem seeing CUDA.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:11:33 pm

As of 4:09 pm on July 7th 2017 everything is running as it should be. Barring any sudden changes in the situation, I think I'm FINALLY set up. Now, wonder whuts on duh tv...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]