FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export "Match Sequence Settings" Doesn't Actually Match Sequence Settings Issue

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Richardson
Export "Match Sequence Settings" Doesn't Actually Match Sequence Settings Issue
on Jul 5, 2017 at 7:44:07 am

Hello everyone, as a preface: I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Adobe Premiere (2014)
tl;dr is at the bottom

I feel like questions of, "What are the best export settings for [blank] format," have been thrown around, and I've tried (and failed) following them and their somewhat higher-level talk about ideal settings and such.

I suppose it's a bit presumptuous of me to expect the program to fully output what I am editing and working on, but whether I click the box to "Match Sequence Settings" or go for an Uncompressed AVI, the resultant drop in quality is still quite notable, and I've no idea if it's just something off with my settings, or it's a best-case scenario. (And if that's the case, then how on earth do other productions edit any videos and have such high resultant quality?)

I would hope that if I can spare the memory/time for ludicrously large resolution exports, then at the very least my videos won't all turn out to be Minecraft videos. Anyway, enough rambling:

tl;dr

1) How on earth do I get output quality to not be rubbish? (especially if willing to deal with large file sizes)
2) Why on earth do these black bars always have a habit of showing up on export?
(a note on #2, at least with this particular example, even with same dimensions, there are still black bars, and I have to mess around with dimensions of the export to actually remove the black bars)

Image gallery for compare/contrast: http://imgur.com/a/3s59a

Hopefully this post is somewhat coherent (I'm writing it quite late).
In any case, thank you for your time and help in advance!

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Export "Match Sequence Settings" Doesn't Actually Match Sequence Settings Issue
on Jul 5, 2017 at 9:46:10 pm

Match sequence settings means you are using the preview codec on export. This preview codec is of low quality.

Your example show you are edting 1280x720 29.97 and exporting to 720x480 which is standard definition with a different aspect ratio (hence the black bars)

What is the final destination of your project: youtube, dvd, computer or ..........

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Joshua Richardson
Re: Export "Match Sequence Settings" Doesn't Actually Match Sequence Settings Issue
on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:50:36 pm

Thanks for the response Ann,

What exactly does it mean to say "the preview codec is of low quality"

As for the different dimensions, I think I understand that different aspect ratios lead to the black bars, but I've no idea why 720x480 is standard definition. If the exporter always tries to just use 720x480, then should I just make all of my projects (ever) in 720x480? If so, then how does one ever get higher resolution for things such as YouTube or Facebook? (For instance, 1080p is pretty standard on YouTube, and even though Facebook is it's own nightmare (I've checked forums aplenty for supposedly best ways to get 1080 to no avail) there are still videos that have 1080 options on there as well.)

So, suffice to say, [YouTube, Computer, Facebook] are the formats I'm really aiming for.

I've seen tips that help with minimizing the compression which something like Facebook has to do, but the only result of that (something like an H.242 codex or something) resulted in an absolutely abysmal image quality. As uneducated as it may be for me to say so: is it not just an option to try and smash a super high-resolution video into YouTube/Facebook and have *them* worry about the slight compression which they'd apply anyway? (Because yes, when I made the "Facebook Specialized" video, I uploaded it and it still managed to look even more rubbish.)

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 6, 2017 at 5:06:29 am

720x480 is Standard Defintion because that's what the industry has defined as the Horizontal and Vertical dimensions for SD. In this case 720x480 is DV SD, there's also 720x486 for DVD's and 720x540 or full sized SD which are all NTSC SD Frame Size Standards.

You should always setup your Sequence Settings to the size of the highest res videos you have, like say 1920x1080. The first time you start an export it defaults to DV - 720x480, especially if you initially started with a 720x480 DV Sequence . You need to use or build a preset that fits you media size and if 720x480 still pops up on export this is where you override the "Match Source Settings" and configure your output settings manually.

Note: If your Sequence is set to 720x480 you will not get any better results overriding the export settings. You must create a sequence with the proper frame size first.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:42:01 am

If you are making video for Youtube use the H.264 format with one of the Youtube presets.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]