FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode vs native

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
Transcode vs native
on Jul 4, 2017 at 4:24:35 pm

Hello,

I've asked here for advice a while ago about transcoding vs native meida and I have some follow up questions.

Here is my computer specs

Windows 10

Intel Xeon CPU 3.60Ghz

16 GB of ram

64 bit OS

NVIDIA Quadro M4000 8GB video card

1. If I can edit and add effects/color correction in the native media such as AVCHD do I need to transcode at all as long as I can edit etc and everything plays back fine?

2. If the answer is no to above should I transcode before I edit with Prelude or can I edit in native media then use the Render and Replace before I add my effects? Sometimes I can edit native media fine and other times I can't if it's a big project.

3. In order to resolve the situation where I have a large project with many effects at once should I just export the section or clips with effects on it to increase playback? ie: If I have speed, color and chroma effects should I export that to it's own clip?

Thanks,

Bryce

Bryce

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Transcode vs native
on Jul 4, 2017 at 6:05:21 pm

There is no need to trans-code. If playback stutters only render that area of the timeline.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 4, 2017 at 7:24:57 pm

AVCHD takes a LOT of system resources to play back in real time...to decode on the fly. It might be fine to go native for a short project with limited media, say a 5 minute video. But for longer projects, best to transcode. You can either convert to DNxHD and use that for the whole process (no need to go back to the highly compressed AVCHD). But this is a less compressed format therefore you'll need larger hard drives to store it.

Or you can use the offline/online workflow...compressing to a low res proxy file for ease of editing, and then relink to the masters when you are ready to do your final color and output

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 4, 2017 at 7:29:53 pm

[Shane Ross] "AVCHD takes a LOT of system resources to play back in real time...to decode on the fly. It might be fine to go native for a short project with limited media, say a 5 minute video. But for longer projects, best to transcode. You can either convert to DNxHD and use that for the whole process (no need to go back to the highly compressed AVCHD). But this is a less compressed format therefore you'll need larger hard drives to store it.

Or you can use the offline/online workflow...compressing to a low res proxy file for ease of editing, and then relink to the masters when you are ready to do your final color and output

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def"

thanks Shane,

My issue is I'm unable to find a format/codec that is less file size to make a proxy. I've tried using the proxy files built into Premiere like DNXHD etc but they are larger files than AVCHD. Do you know why that is?

It takes quicker to make a proxy file than to fully transcode to something like Cineform

Bryce

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 4, 2017 at 7:41:52 pm

[Bryce Douglass] "My issue is I'm unable to find a format/codec that is less file size to make a proxy. I've tried using the proxy files built into Premiere like DNXHD etc but they are larger files than AVCHD. Do you know why that is? "

The only DNxHD type that is a proxy format is DNxHD 36. All the rest are high res finishing formats that have higher data rates. There's a workflow for this...

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/create-clips-offline-editing.htm...

Adobe will encode with a different coded from DNxHD...I can't recall what that is at the moment. But there also might be an updated way of doing this with the latest version...can't find that at the moment. But internally in Premiere you highlight the footage and have it make proxies. And when you render out anything, any viewing copies, it links to the masters when it does that.

And yes, CIneform also is a full res finishing format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 4, 2017 at 8:23:45 pm

[Shane Ross] "Adobe will encode with a different coded from DNxHD...I can't recall what that is at the moment. But there also might be an updated way of doing this with the latest version...can't find that at the moment. But internally in Premiere you highlight the footage and have it make proxies. And when you render out anything, any viewing copies, it links to the masters when it does that.

And yes, CIneform also is a full res finishing format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def"

hmm, Well I'm definitely selecting a proxy file and it's larger than the native AVCHD

Bryce

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 4, 2017 at 8:39:18 pm

[Bryce Douglass] "hmm, Well I'm definitely selecting a proxy file and it's larger than the native AVCHD"

If your computer cannot play the AVCHD codec at full resolution you can always opt to playback at half or quarter resolution. It seems like you are worried about files sizes and hard drive space when you shouldn't have to. Trans-coding to an easier codec for playback is going to create a larger file sizes. If you opt for smaller proxies why not just view native AVCHD at 1/4 resolution?

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 4, 2017 at 8:51:23 pm

[andy patterson] "If your computer cannot play the AVCHD codec at full resolution you can always opt to playback at half or quarter resolution. It seems like you are worried about files sizes and hard drive space when you shouldn't have to. Trans-coding to an easier codec for playback is going to create a larger file sizes. If you opt for smaller proxies why not just view native AVCHD at 1/4 resolution?"

I do run into some problems with AVCHD. Example is I have the Neat Video Noise Reduction grain filter/remover. When you apply it to any AVCHD clip it lags and freezes the timeline but if it's Cineform it works fine. I also have experienced other effects screwing up certain clips to the point where clip 1 is actually clip 2 but only with the effect applied. Hence I would like another solution and reducing it to 1/4 playback doesn't fix it. That's why I was wondering if i should just render and replace my timeline rather than transcoding the whole ACVHD card folder structure. before I add effects.

In theory Proxy should work but the Proxy files are larger than the AVCHD files which make no sense to me.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 4, 2017 at 8:56:00 pm

There are many Cameras that use very low Bit rate AVCHD so seeing Proxy Files that are larger than you original media is not surprising.

This is also why AVCHD is so difficult to playback, it's very highly compressed.
As suggested in another Post Playback at 1/4 Res is probably your best bet especially if HD space is a problem.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 4, 2017 at 8:59:05 pm

As I said in the previous post AVCHD doesn't cut it for certain affects like Neat Video etc. Even at 1/4 playback.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 4, 2017 at 9:01:08 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jul 4, 2017 at 9:10:32 pm

There are many Cameras that use very low Bit rate AVCHD so seeing Proxy Files that are larger than you original media is not surprising.

This is also why AVCHD is so difficult to playback, it's very highly compressed.
Here are you only options then.

1- Use the Proxy Files even if they are larger than the Original Media.
2- Trancode to a Larger easier to Playback Codec.

By rendering your timeline you will end up with Cache Files that are larger than you original media as well.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 4, 2017 at 9:20:31 pm

I'm not talking about render the timeline. I'm talking about the Render and Replace clip feature that transcodes individual clips in the timeline rather than all the media

Bryce

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Jul 8, 2017 at 11:11:59 pm

Can anyone else chime in here?

Bryce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]