FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Mac for Adobe Premiere 4K editing now?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Willis
Best Mac for Adobe Premiere 4K editing now?
on Jul 4, 2017 at 9:52:31 am

Hi. I'm looking at getting either a

1. 2013 Mac Pro 6 core with D500s, or a
2. 2012 Mac Pro 12 core with a nice nvidia card.

Either one would have 64 gigs of RAM, a fast RAID, and internal SSD.

I need to edit a 4k feature film (I'll use proxies if I need to). Likely it'll be Arri Alexa footage.

My concerns are:
1. Heat -- the edit room is not well air-conditioned, and if one of those computers throws off less heat, than that's the one I want. I haven't been able to find definitive research on that. I won't be doing a lot of rendering, if that matters. Although my current 2008 Mac is too damned hot no matter what.
2. Ingesting. No thunderbolt or USB 3 on the 2012 Mac, so it'll be slower ingesting unless I use a PCI slot for a USB 3 interface, right? (I can do that, right?)
3. Newer OS X versions leaving the 2012 model behind. The 2013 seems like it would be able to handle more OS X versions coming down the pike.

I do NOT do AE, or anything that requires much rendering -- mostly straight cuts and fades.

And I don't have time to wait for the iMac Pro in December.

I'll also be using this for Logic Pro, Pro Tools, and general computing.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Best Mac for Adobe Premiere 4K editing now?
on Jul 5, 2017 at 7:30:41 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jul 5, 2017 at 7:32:04 am

You won't notice much difference in heat between the 2012 - 5,1 and the 2008 - 3,1 possibly even more in the 2012.
I would suggest just finding a way to put the system outside of the room and extending your Monitor and USB Cables.
35' DVI Cables are easy to get and reasonably priced.

You can install a USB 3 Card in both the 2008 and 2012 Models. There are Generic Cards that work in Macs but not all of them will so you may have to do a bit of searching to find one. There are also quite a few of the Generic Cards that have a Molex Power Connector that must hooked up which is a PITA to do in the Mac Pros. Sonnet Cards are expensive but they always work in Macs and are very reliable.

I think the 2013 Trash Cans to be overpriced Toys so I wouldn't even look at one at all.
I currently use 2012 - 5,1's for all my systems and they work great.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]