FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delays and freezes when switching tools (CC 2017.1.2 on MacOS 10.12.5)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Merlin Vandenbossche
Delays and freezes when switching tools (CC 2017.1.2 on MacOS 10.12.5)
on Jul 3, 2017 at 10:32:00 pm

Hi,

I've been experiencing delays and freezes (beach ball) for several seconds when switching tools, performing timeline actions (moving/nudging clips) or importing new assets. The app would then freeze for several seconds and then pull through. Often the problem doesn't occur for some time and then occurs several times after one another. This happens several times/hour.

I'm seeing this on multiple systems (5K iMac's and 2013 MacPro) using CC 2017.1.2 on MacOS 10.12.5. All macs are using OpenCL for Mercury Playback. All projects were created in the new version (no clunky updated files). It happens in both simple projects (single cam ProRes/H264 files) and complex ones (multicam). I've not seen this one before.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Anyone had input from Adobe or found a workaround or culprit?

I've already switched off all the 'usual suspects': composite preview during trim, maintain audio pitch while shuttling, show duplicate frame markers, the lumetri scopes, Mercury Transmit. All that stuff that is known to cause havoc before.

Thanks for all the brotherly and sisterly support!

Merlin

Return to posts index

Mike Kelland
Re: Delays and freezes when switching tools (CC 2017.1.2 on MacOS 10.12.5)
on Jul 10, 2017 at 5:36:33 am

Hi Merlin,

I'm having the exact same issue, only since the last update to 2017.1.2. It's bloody annoying.

Happens in simple and less simple projects - 1080p ProRes footage, 1080P C300 footage, 4K FS7 footage etc.

Random 2-5sec beach balling when doing various mundane stuff - adjusting rubber bands, selecting a clip, changing to pen tool etc.

Only time I've seen this before is on the 1st time during the day that I import an item into the project (happens for me in all Pr versions)

Running 10.12.5 on nMP 2013 D700 32GB RAM, Pegasus2 thunderbolt raid - using Open CL
Blackmagic UtraStudio Express with latest driver.

We can't be the only ones out there seeing this issue...?

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

TJ Ingrassia
on Jul 13, 2017 at 11:47:05 am

Same issue here. Premiere 2017.1.2. Brand new 5K iMac with every spec turned up to 11, running OS 10.12.2.

I'm assuming this is an Adobe issue. Everything was running fine until I updated to the latest version of Premiere. That's when the beach balls started happening.

Return to posts index

Justin Wood
on Sep 4, 2017 at 2:55:49 pm

Same issue here:

Premiere Pro CC 2017 1.2
mid 2015 MBP

very annoying!

Return to posts index

Stephen Abbott
on Sep 17, 2017 at 11:21:32 am

Hi,

Same here, I'm sad to report. I've tried all the same settings changes, no luck yet.

Mac Pro 4,1 running 10.12.6, Premiere 2017.1.1
MacbookAir 6,2 running 10.12.5, Premiere 2017.1.2

Hey Adobe: bugs and slowdowns like this make me reconsider the expensive annual fee for Adobe CC. The fundamentals should Just Work.

-
Stephen Abbott

Return to posts index

Justin Wood
on Sep 17, 2017 at 12:00:16 pm

Agreed, I am happy to pay a price for professional software, but with repeated bugs it really makes me think again about the subscription fee

Return to posts index

Gerfried Guggi
on Sep 18, 2017 at 1:09:22 pm

Hi!

I had the very same problem appearing 2 weeks ago while I rented out my 2016 MBP to a production I shot for. I was sure I had edited on the latest update of Premiere Pro without any problem. But the beachball came up for every click in the timeline! The editor of the production crew was going nuts! It was awful to know you had had an up and running system before, didn't change anything and to start up the system and get presented with an unusable NLE!
Tried to clean and uninstall, tried older versions of Premiere - nothing. Today I was archiving the project and copied it from the external SSD connected via USB-C to my G-Drive RAID. Opened it up - everything fine!!! No problem anymore. Did a reformat of the SSD (previously ExFAT formatted to Mac OS Extended (journaled)), copied the project back and voilà - NO BEACHBALL anymore!!!
Maybe some of you can check and try different hard disks and make sure you're using Mac OS Extended (journaled) as your file system.

best
G

Return to posts index

Kevin O'Brien
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:59:34 pm

I am experiencing the same thing on my Imac, only when switching tools in the timeline.
My project is running on an external Thunderbolt ssd that is plenty fast, and my internal ssd has real world speed of 1400mbps, so that can't be it. All my drives are formatted Mac Extended, Journaled.
I'm not having the problem in any other Premiere functions.
Can't see where is the hangup here.
Welcome input from others who have this isue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Kevin O'Brien
on Sep 18, 2017 at 7:10:55 pm

Just found a possible solution.
1. Go to Premiere Pro or Edit/Preferences/media cache and clean unused.
this seemed to help a lot.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Gerfried Guggi
on Sep 21, 2017 at 6:56:36 pm

It really is a strange bug ... have you tried copying the whole project folder to another driver? As said, it was the only thing I did: moved project folder off SSD to RAID - nothing else changed, within 3min got Premiere working as it should by just moving the project folder (containing footage, project file ...).

But what both of projects have in common: they are placed on a SSD.
I also tried before moving to the RAID editing off the internal SSD, was the same. Don't have any knowledge if SSD's are being treated different than normal hard drives by an NLE.

Return to posts index

Caine Mitchell
on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:48:23 am

Worked for me for now.

Premiere is a dog of an NLE, needs a complete re-write.

Adobe need to stop releasing constant updates with frivolous features that most eds don't need and spend their time making this a stable, BUG-LESS NLE.

I really ONLY need AE otherwise I'd drop my subscription like a hot potato. Every other app I use can be covered by low cost one off payment SW.

Having just bought a new specc'd up machine I can't believe how much it struggles with 4K media, even with all the updates that were supposed to fix the issues (ie GH5 4K / H.264 and even ProRes to an extent).

SUPER FRUSTRATING!!

(I don't mind Lumetri though 😉 )

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 26, 2017 at 12:48:23 pm

[Caine Mitchell] "Premiere is a dog of an NLE, needs a complete re-write."

The Mac experience with Premiere may get more and more frustrating due to OpenCL being inferior to CUDA.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Caine Mitchell
on Sep 26, 2017 at 2:57:08 pm

Yep, I agree Greg. No Cuda on this machine like I had w the Mac Pro Tower.

Am keen to dive deep into Premiere plus Resolve (paid version) plus even FCX now. Just need the time! Really struggling to settle on one...and I'd really like to base my workflows going fed on just one if possible (I don't freelance as I work direct w clients). I only really use PPro currently as it was a pretty easy migration from FCP7, plus I already pay for it and it seems a majority of post mobs / agencies / in house corporate department etc use it too so it'd be unwise to not be familiar w it.

I also struggle w going w FCX as I don't trust that Apple won't again neglect it's pro app users n not support new codecs / formats etc etc as they are released in the coming yrs...of course the new mac's they're touting are sounding promising as we'd all agree...let's just see what the "Apple Tax" will be on these!😉

Resolve as also an NLE would be something I'd love to move to permanently! I really dig that they've done a lot of work on the NLE side of things including the level of audio post integration etc, plus even to the extent of how Grant Petty comes across in his preso's when showing new products n talking about the company n products directions and their thinking.... they think like us, not like a company catering for a broad based consumer of personal products etc. Plus they seem to listen and implement based on feedback n demand n not what they want to manipulate customers into in the way that i.e. Apple forces your hand...(getting WAY off track on a rant here)... anyhow I do like where BMD have been heading w Resolve 14.

Of course to provide more "uncertainty" in the NLE I'd settle on to use predominantly looking forward I also have that gut feeling that FCX will still likely be the most responsive NLE for 4K n beyond as an NLE purely because of the 64bit architecture n code it currently employs (plus the fact that perhaps Apple will tend to favor it's own NLE integration n supporting code over competitor's NLE SW packages..

But really this is all speculation n here-say....I really need to just test all NLE's n their workflows....

Either way, from recent experiences w the new top specc'd iMac I'm def not been wowed by any increase in performance inside PPro unfortunately.

...sorry for getting sidetracked here y'all!🙃

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 26, 2017 at 3:44:56 pm

hey caine, thanks for your honest thoughts. I'm sure there's a lot of other folks out there that share your concerns.

All I can do is share my experience. I was a devout Apple user for over 20 years. And for many of those years Apple served me well. Apple was the default computer system of almost every post house that I worked for and I used it on my own projects at home so the convergence was nice.

And then in 2011, Apple makes it's radical FCP change, infuriates its user base and Adobe perks up it's ears to the grumblings of many within the industry. And in addition, Apple becomes primarily a phone company and professional computer development takes a backseat. Apple does release the trashcan mac but it was less than impressive. I used several trashcan macs at different post houses and I was underwhelmed.

For me personally, 2016 was the watershed year. I was working on a 2012 MBP that was maxed out and working at full capacity but I needed to update my edit system to become fully 4k compatible because I was now working almost exclusively on 4k projects. I looked at the latest offerings within the Apple portfolio and they weren't all that impressive, with the exception of the price, which naturally was astronomical.

Through a motion graphic artist friend, I was turned onto a custom built PC. I learned that on the PC side of things there was a large amount of customization possible with motherboards, GPU's, etc. and there was also room for future upgrading. The openness of the windows world was the exact opposite of Apple. And since Adobe CC is platform agnostic, the notion of abandoning mac became a viable thought.

And so once I got over my long developed disdain of all things PC and windows I dove in and bought a fully loaded custom built PC. I had a period in which I had to get used to the Windows environment and that was painful after 20 plus years on a mac but then I realized that the Windows environment was just fine and maybe in the larger scheme of things, even better than the OSX platform.

I have a dual setup so that if necessary I could do a FCPX project but in my market FCPX still has gained very little traction after six years. Every person decides what's best for themselves and so I'm not making judgments on those that continue to support Apple. I'm just confirming that life indeed does go on even after leaving the fold of Apple.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Caine Mitchell
on Sep 27, 2017 at 2:50:47 am

Hey Greg

Thanks also for your reply. Yep as much as I can squirm about the windows ecosystem (mainly due to my own massive knowledge gap) I couldn't agree more that a custom PC would provide some incredible options!

Thanks for the chat (we best not hijack this post any longer haha) :-)

Return to posts index

Maarten Spoek
on Oct 20, 2017 at 6:36:56 am

[Kevin O'Brien] "1. Go to Premiere Pro or Edit/Preferences/media cache and clean unused.
this seemed to help a lot."

Helped me, thanks.

Return to posts index

Nils Lian
on Oct 25, 2017 at 8:03:05 am

We have experienced the same issue (CC 2017.1.2 + MacOS 10.12.5 = beach balls) at our office, and wondered if anyone here knows if it has somehow been fixed with the new version that arrived earlier this October

Nils

Return to posts index

Kevin O'Brien
on Oct 25, 2017 at 1:05:37 pm

I forgot to mention that after cleaning the media cache, it appears it is best to save your project and restart Premiere.
This gets rid of the delay. I have not tried the new version because I'm currently finishing a project in the old one.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

Coralee Long
on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:17:28 pm

I've had the same problem on Premiere 2017.2 with the beachball of death, whenever switching between timeline tools. I have just upgraded to 2018 and the problem is still there. Hugely upset right now. FML. Please let me know if anyone solves this! My audio also cuts out when I make changes during playback...which was one of the best features Premiere had...until it stopped working.

Just trashed all my prefs to see if it helps. Will keep you all posted!

Mac OS 10.12.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Return to posts index

Kevin O'Brien
on Nov 1, 2017 at 12:12:27 am

This solved it for me: In Premiere preferences, go to Media Cache and check the "Clean Unused" button, then save the project and re-start Premiere.

Thanks,
Kevin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]