FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lag preview

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry Cheng
Lag preview
on Jun 25, 2017 at 7:57:23 pm

All,
TY for all your help in my previous post. I decided to purchase 32G RAM to try it out. And to my surprise. It works relatively well. In fact, most of my 4K videos playback on PPro smoothly in the preview mode. However, if the video is too long, i.e. 5min long, it play back laggy (even from the beginning). I tried to chop off the file (without re-encoding) but, choppiness does not go away. Wondering what makes the difference. File formats are exactly the same (3840x2160 @ 29.97fps). Why is it matter if the file is larger or not? Any tips will be helpful. TY in advance.

Sincerely,
Perry

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Lag preview
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:33:35 am

First let me just say that RAM always makes a difference. All my machines have 128gb of RAM except for the one I use the least and that one has 64gb. I would say that if you can afford it go to 64 as well. Second set your Playback Engine to Open CL if you have an ATI or AMD Graphics Card. If you have an Nvidia GPU then install the CUDA Drivers and set it to CUDA.

As for the laggy playback exactly how did you chop off the video. If it's referencing the first video in any way then your problem won't go away. Are these Videos stored on a drive with good performance or just some Pocket or cheap USB Drive. The length of the Video shouldn't affect playback but I have seen this myself once or twice. What's going to really make a difference other than System Perfomance and RAM is the Video Codec. Some of these Long GOP Codecs that Cameras shoot in these days can be really difficult to playback. Your system must not only uncompress them it must also rebuild the I, B and P Frames into full frames while simultaneously playing them back in your preview window.

Make sure your Media Cache is set to your fastest drive or at least not the same drive as your Media is on. If you have the resources put the files that are difficult to playback on a separate drive altogether.

If you don't mind drop a line about your system such as CPU, GPU, overall RAM and what type of Hard Drive(s) and Interface type(s) your Media resides on.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jun 27, 2017 at 10:40:44 pm

Brent, ty so much for helping. I tried what you suggested as far as Media Cache folders... It really does not help much.

System:
Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
32 GB RAM (max for my system)
Win7 64bit (don't think Win10 will help)
C Drive: 250G SSD
V Drive: 1.5T free (7200rpm)
S Drive: 100GB free (for video Cache as you suggested) (7200rpm)
several other external drives...

PremPro CS5

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jun 29, 2017 at 7:39:53 pm

would upgrading to Win10 or CS6 help? I don't want to upgrade to CC continue to pay Adobe indefinitely as I only edit video nowadays once or twice a year!

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jul 5, 2017 at 1:49:05 pm

Does anyone know? (would upgrading to Win10 or CS6 help?)

How about putting the Videos on a SSD? Who that help with the preview lags?

TY.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 5, 2017 at 2:16:16 pm

try half resolution playback.

what does your cpu usage look like? what does mediainfo say about your video codec? is it h.264?
do a benchmark on your hard drives to see if they can playback mb/sec of your video with crystal disk mark.

if you want to try offline editing and replace clips prores proxy as an alternative because its easier on your cpu for decompression.
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/create-clips-offline-editing.htm...

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:14:47 pm

Chris, TY for your tips. Yes, I can do that or I can render every bit of the 4K video but am just trying to avoid that. I think I am at a point where besides upgrading, I just have to live with this.

Perry

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jul 7, 2017 at 1:51:27 am

OK, I don't give up easily... haha... well, I pulled off one of my 128G SSD and dedicated that as my Cache and Media drive. I still don't see much improvement. I then tried open the CPU Usage Monitor, to discover during Video Preview of my 4K video, it only takes 25-30% of the CPU. In fact, 2-3 of the cores does not even move up very much. Memory use was only 5.3G (I got 32G). So, not sure what is bottle necking my video preview in PPro now. Ahhhhhh....

Sincerely,
Perry

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jul 14, 2017 at 1:32:04 am

just to let everyone know what I have tried:

1. I bought another SSD (Samsung Evo 256GB) - very fast SSD, but no help despite I tried various settings (Media Cache, ratch disk...)
2. I bought a set of 32GB RAM - very limited improvement (may I say, very limited if any at all)

Let's say I returned both above and back to square one.

Conclusion, so far, it is got to be the processor not fast enough to handle 4K. Well, I am done, don't want to upgrade the entire mother board and processor. I am not sure if upgrading software help or not, I doubt it. I will live with rendering after each little edit or use a lower resolution ones and then replace them at the end. Painful but I don't edit that much anyway.

Thanks again for those who tried to help.

Sincerely,
Perry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]