FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good ways to match colors of different clips?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Clasman
Good ways to match colors of different clips?
on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:05:53 pm
Last Edited By Tom Clasman on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:07:55 pm

Does anyone know of a method, tool or clever workaround, to match the (overall) colors of two clips, where one can be seen as the source and the other as target? I am after making them look like they 'belong', although they are somewhat different as raw footage.

Doesn't need to be absolute, just very close. I can do it fairly well by using the Levels colorcontrol and automating the values. It's just so very cumbersome and takes hours.

thx

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Good ways to match colors of different clips?
on Jun 22, 2017 at 9:10:30 pm

http://revisionfx.com/products/rematch/

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Tom Clasman
on Jun 22, 2017 at 10:56:01 pm

Just got Rematch installed. But .. I couldn't get it to work, so I looked at the manual and watched about 5 "how to" videos on youtube.
Whatever the guys on youtube are doing, is not working in Premiere Pro 2015, at all. They just put the plugin on the target clip, select another track beneath - with a clip running in parallell timewise with the target clip - as source, and bom it works.
For me, it just shows a red frame on the target clip, all the time, no matter what different techniques I try. There are no special circumstances involved in the setup I got here either.

Just as a quick follow-up question, could anyone tell me if this 'Should' be working straight away like that? Is Rematch known to have problems with Premiere? Or am I seeing something which seems pretty odd?
Just so I know I'm not crazy ...
(which I kindof am, but .. you know)

thx

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2017 at 12:20:06 pm

Rematch is mostly for stereo video, matching 2 shots when they are framed identically. It has lots of limitations in multicam shooting when it diverges from anything but a Wide/Close-up combination. It is not good for simply trying to tonally match 2 independently shot clips. For any non-stero use I would recommend Hawaiki Automatch -

https://fxfactory.com/info/hawaikiautomatch.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 22, 2017 at 9:13:29 pm

Hawaiki AutoMatch

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 23, 2017 at 2:23:43 pm

never used hawaiki. how would you rate it 1-10 stars? Can it batch 50 clips at once? That would be cool. I actually use fast color corrector. it's really fast. I still can't believe they're depreciating it. It has hue control. Lumetri doesn't even have a global hue slider or split frame view.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jun 23, 2017 at 2:32:46 pm

[Chris Wright] "never used hawaiki. how would you rate it 1-10 stars? Can it batch 50 clips at once?"

There is a free (watermarked) trial version so you could always try it out to see if it works for you.

Like any other effect in Premiere, you can copy and paste your effect settings from one clip to a batch of clips on the timeline.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2017 at 3:20:25 pm

[Chris Wright] "never used hawaiki. how would you rate it 1-10 stars?"

It's advantage over other color correctors for matching is that it has 2 sets of "color picker" correction that you can add or blend together, which is unique as far as I know. It's very simple to use, and at the price ($49) even if you only use once in a while it's worth having. It's not magical, but if you have similar reference points in your shots that are not red ( I find matching red problematic with any color matching tool) it's a great plug-in.

As for stars, well it's got a great beat and you can dance to it, so I give it 8 stars ( a musical reference for those of you who get AARP solicitations.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]