FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro CC assistant editing workflow question (coming from FCP 7)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Hilferty
Premiere Pro CC assistant editing workflow question (coming from FCP 7)
on Jun 20, 2017 at 6:39:46 pm

Hi,

A little background: I am working on a documentary as an assistant editor currently tasked with logging footage. The directors are overseas shooting and I am in the US receiving footage and logging it.

I am used to doing this on FCP where my workflow consisted of a project that solely contained clips for which I logged, then another project for sequences, where clips from the clips project are edited in to.

To my understanding, this is not possible in premiere cc, as multiple projects can not be opened at the same time. It also seems that the sequences reference the clips in the project window directly, so If I delete a clip from the project window, it also removed it from the sequence. This did not happen in FCP 7, so I was able to delete bins full of un-logged clips and replace them with logged clips.

My main problem is that there does not seem to be a way of having a master project (in which the directors can work in - cutting sequences, making marker notes, pulling selects, etc) while also having my project where I can log footage, then bring that logged footage into the master project and replace the un-logged clips with mine.

If someone can open my eyes to a good workflow that could help me accomplish this, it would be much appreciated. Any suggestions welcome, thank you!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Premiere Pro CC assistant editing workflow question (coming from FCP 7)
on Jun 20, 2017 at 8:59:24 pm

[Bill Hilferty] "To my understanding, this is not possible in premiere cc, as multiple projects can not be opened at the same time"

Correct. You cannot have multiple projects open at one time. However, you can edit the doc in segments and then import each final sequence from these segment projects into a single, clean "master" project file. You do this using Media Browser, which can "look" inside of Premiere Pro project files. When you import the sequence, it automatically also imports the source clips used in that sequence, but not any unused clips.

[Bill Hilferty] "My main problem is that there does not seem to be a way of having a master project (in which the directors can work in - cutting sequences, making marker notes, pulling selects, etc) while also having my project where I can log footage, then bring that logged footage into the master project and replace the un-logged clips with mine"

My recommendation would be to create separate Premiere projects for each interviewee. This way, the director can edit a selects sequence for each one, while someone else is working on other projects. Or if you already have a rough idea where the doc can be broken up, you could organize by reel, so that you have 5 or 6 segment projects, which would ultimately be combined into the final.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Hilferty
on Jun 20, 2017 at 10:38:20 pm

Thank you Oliver for taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately a project for each interviewee wouldn't work as there are multiple and most of our footage is of the verite sort so it relies on being logged by content and category.

Maybe a simpler question would be is there a way to merge logging data from a set of clips in one project to a set of identical clips in another project?

In other words, If we have a master project in which the director cuts stuff and makes the occasional marker note on a clip, then we have my project in which I am solely logging clips, Could I bring in my logged clips (or just the text log data) into the master project somewhat efficiently?

I know there has to be people out there using adobe premiere CC for long-form documentary projects, with multiple users.. How are they doing it!!??

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 20, 2017 at 11:20:28 pm

[Bill Hilferty] "Maybe a simpler question would be is there a way to merge logging data from a set of clips in one project to a set of identical clips in another project?"

Hmm... I don't think so. You could have the director work in a duplicate of the project, make notes and then you'd be able to import sequences from one project into the other. Or simply take a copy of his project and continue on that.

[Bill Hilferty] "I know there has to be people out there using adobe premiere CC for long-form documentary projects, with multiple users.. How are they doing it!!??"

The easiest way is to have duplicates drives, which are mirrored - media and projects. Then pass project files back and forth. If you are a Team account holder of CC, you could also try Team projects, which puts shared project files in the cloud.

This article of mine might be helpful:

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/five-came-back/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Hilferty
on Jun 21, 2017 at 12:58:56 am

Thank you, very interesting article, will have to check out that film.

We are currently working on cloned drives and passing project files. There is a problem though, say that he edits a sequence in the project and/or happens to randomly make a note on some clips, while at the same time I am logging on my end and creating a selects sequence. At the end of the day we will have two projects. If I open his up and want to bring in my logged footage via media browser, I can do that, however this will create duplicate media. So I go to delete the media that is unlogged, but his sequence is referencing certain clips from this media so If I delete the media to replace it with mine, it will delete media from his sequence. On the other hand, If i were to take his sequence in to my project, it will create duplicate, unlogged media.

It seems I will just have to tell him to keep better track of what he does so at the end of the day I can merge the projects with knowledge of work done. Or perhaps we can try sending xml/edl of his sequence and linking to my media.

I just wish we could have two projects open, and he could have his own project with sequences referencing clips on physical disk rather then clips in the browser. Like FCP 7 could do. I feel stupid that I am having this though but can't seem to find anyone else on the internet in the same position!

We tried teams, but he is remote so internet connection not so good, and teams has no way of local saving if there is an issue with the connection. There are also horror stories of people losing full days work because of sync issues. I'd rather avoid that, at least until it is out of beta!

Return to posts index

Kevin Christopher
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:20:53 pm

jumping in a little late, but I have some insight into doing this efficiently. what we do is run 2 premiere projects. The assistant has a logging project that is versioned twice a day. The Editor has an editing project that is versioned exactly like the assistant's. When the assistant is through synching, binning, and pulling selects into a select time line I have a bin structure something like this:
SCENE 25
-> AUDIO
->25
->25A . etc.
-> VIDEO
-> VIDEO FILES
SC-25-TK1 (Audio and Video merged or multicam file) etc.

My assistant can then select the top SCENE 25 Bin and export the whole bin as a premiere project via: File -> Export -> Selection as a Premiere Project.

I then can import that project with one bin or 10 bins into my editing project and it will maintain the organizational structure.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Mike Kelland
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:04:19 am

In reference to the duplicated clips when importing sequences etc via Media Browser - I agree it's really frustrating - but I've found that if each Project (the one you're importing from and the one you're importing to) have the exact same bin naming and structure then the Premiere realises the clip is already there and doesn't bring it in a duplicate. Any difference though, even caps instead of lower case, then it brings in another instance of your clip. This can get out of hand quickly on a long form doco.

You might already know, but another thing to be aware of for logging is that to preserve clip markers make sure 'Write clip markers to XMP' in the Media preferences is un-ticked. Otherwise all the markers you put on clips will only be seen in your project and won't be seen by another editor if they re-link the media to their duplicate drive. Un-ticking that option makes sure the info goes with the project file.

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]