FORUMS: list search recent posts

18 Channels with streams in CC17

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Quinn
18 Channels with streams in CC17
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:35:53 pm

Hi all,

First time posting so I'll try my best to make my problems as clear as possible.

For some deliverables I need to do a ProRes 4444 with 18 channels, mixed down to a 5.1 stream, 3x stereo streams, and then another 5.1 (5.1 En , stereo DME, 5.1 M&E for context....) they want these as discrete steams and not as 18 mono, unfortunately...

So I have all as mono stems. I've made my 18 multi channel sequence in premiere and directed each channel accordingly (in audio clip mixer, setting each track as: A1 > ch1-2 > pan left, A2 > ch1-2 pan right, etc)

All looks ok in the display in the bottom right. Export settings in audio channel config are:
  • stream 1 - output 5.1 L R C LFE Ls Rs, source channels 1-6
  • Stream 2 - stereo, 7-8
  • Stream 3 - stereo, 9-10
  • Stream 4 - stereo, 11-12
  • Stream 5 - 5.1 L R C LFE Ls Rs, 13-18.

Now the problem lies here: in QT inspector, it says it's 5.1, stereo x3, and 5.1, as expected... However, bring back into premiere and it says it's 3x 5.1. So it's interpreted the 3 stereo as 5.1 instead.

My client also is viewing it this way (not sure what means they are viewing this though). Whilst QT is saying that the streams are correct, I'm leaning more in favour of trusting what an NLE says instead.

So any pointers with this would be massively appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: 18 Channels with streams in CC17
on Jun 20, 2017 at 5:02:59 pm

[Lauren Quinn] "However, bring back into premiere"

What are your default audio import options?

Return to posts index

Lauren Quinn
on Jun 20, 2017 at 5:22:36 pm

For importing back to premiere I've just been doing a ctrl+I and then create new sequence from clip. If there's further import settings for audio where can I access them to check?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 21, 2017 at 9:47:40 am

[Lauren Quinn] "If there's further import settings for audio where can I access them to check?"

Preferences - audio - default audio tracks

[Lauren Quinn] "create new sequence from clip"

This won't usually work with unusual audio track layouts.

Return to posts index

Lauren Quinn
on Jun 21, 2017 at 11:46:48 am

I have actually managed to solve this now, by looking in modify> audio channels and then setting it up as adaptive. So to conclude, the export was correct, and the interpretation of the import was incorrect. Thank you for your comments, it pushed me in the right direction to solve this one.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jun 21, 2017 at 4:38:17 am

I may not quite understand your exact problem but let's see if this helps you.
I've used this many times in similar situations.
One thing that I don't like about Media Encoder is that I cannot designate how audio tracks are handled on exports.
Example: If I select say an 8 Channel Export QT will report them as 8 Mono Tracks or 7.1.
I've run into the same situation as you where either a Broadcaster or Distributer will not accept them this way.
They want them all designated as Discrete Audio Tracks. My guess is that the Audio Tracks are tagged differently
and Broadcast Servers screw up the Track Allocations when not tagged as Discrete Tracks.
Who knows but what I'm going to suggest has worked for me many times?

I'm not sure if your running Mac or PC but if it's Mac install Quicktime 7.6.6 for Snow Leopard and if it's a PC install the most current Version. You will also need to find a Pro Serial number to be able to do what I'm going to suggest.

1 - Open your Video in QT 7.
2 - Hit CMD or CTRL I depending on what platform your on.
3 - Hit CMD or CTRL J.
4 - Click on Sound Track 1 and then Audio Settings.
5 - Change each Track from Mono to Discrete 0, Discrete 1, etc. etc.
6 - If there are a Sound Track 2, 3 and so on keep doing the same thing till they are all done.

Just make sure you never use the same Discrete Allocation more than once.
You will see the Audio Allocations changing from ??? to Discrete x each time you change one in the info pain.

When you have finished all of this just hit CMD or CTRL S and voila QT Reports 18 Discrete Audio Tracks.
You will see Discrete 0, 1, 2 ... 15, 16 ,17 for 18 Tracks like in your example.

Hope this helps.

"MY MEDIA MOTO: If you think three copies of your media is enough.
Take a moment to place a value on it and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Lauren Quinn
on Jun 21, 2017 at 6:15:51 am

Hi there,
Yeah I've already used QT Pro to assign/label/tag each track. Well actually, QT reads it in the correct order, so what I did was label them as something else, save, and then label it as I needed it. As before, QT interprets the tracks okay but NLEs are having a hard time doing so. It's just really frustrating that QT has no problem but NLEs do, and I can't say that I've solved the problem until I get it reading the same on any platform. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]