FORUMS: list search recent posts

4k or 2k animation for HD project?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hao Wu
4k or 2k animation for HD project?
on Jun 20, 2017 at 1:20:16 pm

Hi all!  I'm editing my new film that's shot in HD. I need some significant 3D animation that will be a big part of the film. Should I ask the animator to deliver in 4k or 2k even though it would require considerably more render time? In today's landscape, the only need I see is 2k for DCP. Is it worth the hassle to have graphics animation in 2K and upres the HD verite footage to 2k during DCP? Or should I stick to all HD delivery and upres everything to 2k if DCP is needed?  Also heard rumor that Netflix will require 4k delivery soon. Not sure if that's true. 

Thanks!

Hao

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 4k or 2k animation for HD project?
on Jun 20, 2017 at 3:32:48 pm

If you shot in HD, why would you need any more resolution than HD in any there files?

This may be your LAST project shot in HD, but would there be any advantage to graphics and effects in 2K?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hao Wu
on Jun 21, 2017 at 12:55:36 pm

Hey Dave,

I'm wondering if I should have animation delivered in 2K and down-res for any distribution that's HD. If my film goes DCP for theatrical, then I can keep animation in 2k and up-res my HD footage. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Hao

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 21, 2017 at 7:03:59 pm

If your film plate is HD then stick with HD.

I am one of those bozos that like to do everything in high res 4K but for your situation, you are not gaining anything if your footage is all HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]