FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K workflow for doc

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Mascara
4K workflow for doc
on Jun 15, 2017 at 4:30:51 pm

Hi All,
I am about to start editing a documentary shot with Sony FS7(UHD), basically 4K. It is going to be a long form project. So far I have 4 TB of material but suspect by the end, I will have 10 to 15 TB. I am sure that I should edit with proxies or transcode the material. Can someone help me with a workflow considering the size and scale?

1. Should the transcoded/proxies material be kept on a separate drive/apart from the original?
2. If I edit using a smaller pixel size 1280 x 720 (proxy) and my sequence is also that size, will that affect my 4K final output?
3. Is it better to transcode or use proxies? I understand there are some limitations with proxies.
4.Concerning final output to 4K: If I do have a seperate drive for proxy/transcoded material, provided that the names of the original media do not change, is it possible when outputting to just swap the low res drive with 4K drive?

I'm not very technical, so if any of you can provide me with good sound advice, I would appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Ken Barnes
Re: 4K workflow for doc
on Jun 16, 2017 at 12:02:46 am

Hi Tina,
I just finished a long 4K drama. There is no need to transcode anything outside of Premiere. Import the 4K footage and then make a proxy within Premiere. It's easy but difficult to explain here. Search 'create proxy in premiere cc' on YouTube and you'll find heaps of help. So you can't avoid transcoding, but at least Premiere makes it easy.

It takes a while to process all the clips and you'll need to tell Premiere where to put the new proxy files on your system and the space to store them. (there's no way to avoid the additional files) I don't think it matters if they're on the same drive. Of course, everything should be backed up to yet more drives.

Once done, you simply add a 'toggle proxy' button to your canvas window and click it to switch back and forth between 4K and proxy (whatever resolution you set up). When the button is blue, it means it's playing the proxy. There is a slight difference in aspect but hardly noticeable except when you add a photo frame from one of the video clips. Make sure you take any photos from video in full 4K mode. Otherwise it will look smaller. (I occasionally extend a video clip a few frames with a still from the last frame... cheating...)

You will be editing on your 4K sequence you created, and the proxies will look the same size. When time to output, I'd click the proxy toggle to off (though I'm not sure that matters), then export. You will be exporting a 4K project and there's no particular fuss.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Ken

'It's not a question of becoming. It's a question of uncovering what you really are, of letting everything that is not yourself fall away'. - Journey to Ladakh

I think this applies to editing as well....

Ken Barnes, Producer, Director, Editor
http://www.blissmonkeyfilms.com

Return to posts index

Liz Parham
on Jul 11, 2017 at 9:22:13 pm

I'm also starting on a longform doc shot on the FS7 / UHD. I created 1920x1080 proxies via ingest / media browser but it still says my clip is 4k? Attached a screenshot, but is that just referencing the original media? When I create a sequence from the clip the frame size is 4k and my playback is fairly choppy when "toggle proxy" is on...I basically have to view the clip at 1/4 the resolution. Not sure what the point of creating all the proxy media if I can't get smooth playback? Don't think its my computer because it's worked for FCPX but have had other issues with fcp, so was hoping premiere would solve ALL my problems 😉

Return to posts index

Ken Barnes
on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:14:30 am

Hi Liz,
Yes, the sequence will be 4K and the clip will appear as 4K (and the size in the canvas will appear as if 4K, even when toggle proxy is 'on' (blue means you are in proxy). The proxy files exist wherever you chose to put them and are referenced in proxy mode. It shouldn't be too choppy unless your sequence is super long and you have a lot of mixed resolution media. It seems Premiere struggles with that. In some cases you may have to view 1/4 resolution, even in proxy mode.

Not sure what computer you use and what graphics card, which can make a lot of difference. I have a stock iMac 5K 2015 and it sometimes works too hard...

I was hoping my shrink would solve all MY problems, but I realized that he had a bunch of his own. Editing makes me forget about them for days on end! ☺

Ken

'It's not a question of becoming. It's a question of uncovering what you really are, of letting everything that is not yourself fall away'. - Journey to Ladakh

I think this applies to editing as well....

Ken Barnes, Producer, Director, Editor
http://www.blissmonkeyfilms.com

Return to posts index

Liz Parham
on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:21:34 pm

hm It's a late 2012 imac / i5 / 8gb ram / 512mb vram so I can't use gpu acceleration. Should I change my previews to proxy as well? not sure if that will help with playback.

Also if the proxy + original media need to reference each other, maybe the newest proxy feature will not totally work because I basically just want to edit with 1080 proxy files and move all my original media to another hard drive until I need to finish + relink to the 4k footage. .

Thanks Ken!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]