FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive two HDV tapes as one file on disk

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elise Brice
Archive two HDV tapes as one file on disk
on Jun 14, 2017 at 12:46:59 pm

I am able to copy my HDV tapes (Sony PHDVM-63DM) from camera to disk using an iLink cable. I have Premiere Pro CS3, which captures each tape as a mpeg file. I am using the mpeg file as my (no loss) archive back-up. So far so good.

A friend has asked me to provide a single file that contains clips from two HDV tapes. The file must be lossless. Its duration is 80 mins.

I can join the two 'tape-to-disk' mpeg files on the Premiere Pro CS3 timeline. However, CS3 does not give me the option re-export as mpeg. Why is this?
What export option should I choose to ensure that the exported file is saved on disk without loss?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Archive two HDV tapes as one file on disk
on Jun 14, 2017 at 3:18:50 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 14, 2017 at 5:35:07 pm

WITHOUT loss? That would mean exporting to an intermediate codec, and it would result in a huge file size. But no loss.
Anything else will result in recompression of the video and varying degrees of loss of image quality from negligible to God-Awful. That's using PP.

Now, there might might be an application that can append one file type to the identical file type, which would result in no loss. I have no knowledge of such an application.

Or you can just deal with two files. Seems like the easiest option to me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Elise Brice
on Jun 14, 2017 at 7:37:32 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I do not understand the term "loss" correctly.

I realise that the film on the HDV tape is already compressed. I would just like to avoid further compression.

I could re-state the problem thus: What file format should I use to store the joined film clips, in order that I could later re-export it back to tape with no loss of information?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2017 at 8:24:11 pm

That would be the first option, exporting to an intermediate codec.
For this stuff I like Quicktime movies in the JPEG 2000, Photo JPEG or PNG codecs.

Don't export to HDV. You'll be compressing the footage again. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]