Picture in Picture with varied frame rates

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark McKeown
Picture in Picture with varied frame rates
on Jun 9, 2017 at 6:40:19 pm

Hi there,

Long time follower, first time poster!
Worth noting this is actually an issue my friend is having, but they are not too technically minded so I volunteered.

I have performed numerous searches on mixing frame rates in Premiere - and other applications - but the posts are all about creating reels using footage of different frame rates to go along side each other in the same video track; my issue is a little different.

I am have two videos, one is 29.97fps (Videos 1) and the other is 23.976fps (Video 2).
Video 1 is my main track while Video 2 will be my picture in picture content. I can line these up no problem, but as you can imagine, over time the tracks fall out of sync, with one skipping ahead of the other over a certain time period.
To me this seems quite expected, however on her last software (some cheap off the shelf video editor) she could do this with no issue and the videos stayed perfectly in sync.

Is there a solution to this? Is there something I should be doing? For example, what frame rate should I be setting the Sequence to, the higher or lower? I have tried both, but then I drag one piece of footage in and it asks if I want to alter the sequence settings to better fit the media.

I do know you can sort of skim through the video and re-align it every time it starts to slip, but for a 60minute or so video, this would be tedious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Picture in Picture with varied frame rates
on Jun 10, 2017 at 11:45:24 pm

Hi Mark,

If your sequence is 29.97, have you tried interpreting the 23.97 footage to 29.97?

Right click on clip: Modify > Interpret footage.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Mark McKeown
Re: Picture in Picture with varied frame rates
on Jun 11, 2017 at 12:32:22 am

Hi Vince,

Thanks for your reply.

I did try this but then it just causes the interpreted footage to speed on ahead, sort of the opposite of the issue I have at the moment.

I also tried the reverse but then the main frame footage becomes very slow and her voice is deepened considerably as a result.

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]