FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Formatted Subtitles File

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Booth
Import Formatted Subtitles File
on Jun 8, 2017 at 11:48:28 pm

Hello!

I am trying to use Premiere Pro CC 2017.1.1 v11.0 on a desktop with Windows 7 Professional for subtitles.

I have a formatted .ass subtitle file and the corresponding .mov file for the subtitles. I cannot for the life of me find a way to import the subtitle file with all of the formatting preserved.

There are parts of the subtitles that have four lines (two top, two bottom), parts that have text in the middle of the frame, and different text border colors, and parts that are standard bottom, centered.

I've tried Subtitle Edit for alternative Formats and Encoding but none or only parts of the formatting are preserved during import. And that's if I don't get a "generic error" or a "bad header error".

Anyone have any success with this? Thank you! Happy to provide any additional info to help clear things up.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Import Formatted Subtitles File
on Jun 9, 2017 at 8:48:44 am

First of all, if the formatting is as you describe, it sounds more like captions than subtitles.

Next, afaik, SSA is not used by pro's, mostly by fansubbers. If you must retain the exact looks, I would try to use a white (or green, or red) dummy movie and render the subs in using a player that allows for this. Or, if you have to, set the player to full screen, capture the output with some screen capture software. Luma or chroma key the end result in.
Stupid way of dealing with the issue, but short of having someone like me custom code something I think it's your only option.
If you like scripting, I'm pretty sure you can work something out using Directshow or FFmpeg / AVIsynth.
(If it's a one time thing, that would be my start.

hth,

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]