FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method to obtain "cool" look

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Best method to obtain "cool" look
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:48:12 pm

I've noticed that when I "warm" up my video it looks really nice, very filmic and rich. But when I try to get a "cool" atmosphere it always looks like poorly white balanced video. I've followed countless tutorials but always end up with the same result. Any of you pros feel like sharing some tips. This is working with h264 4K footage, correctly white balanced Cinelike D.

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
Re: Best method to obtain "cool" look
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:54:02 pm

Examples? By cool I assume you mean blue tinted?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 5, 2017 at 3:16:24 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 5, 2017 at 5:49:54 pm

Here's a thought, Duke...

Get the tryout version of sonething like Magic Bullet Looks. Try some of the presets you like on a test sequence. Export them -- who cares if they have a big red X on them? Or a watermark? People will get the idea anyways. Show some "before" and "after" stills. Someone might have a recipe that would work in Lumetri.

Hey, it's worth a shot....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jun 5, 2017 at 7:47:56 pm

Do you have Photoshop? You can create you own lumetri looks in Photoshop, then use them in your footage.

Basically, you grab a still from your timeline, pull it into Photoshop, and start playing to get the look you like.

Details here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4XPi_aMBZ8

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 6, 2017 at 7:13:26 am

To make a "cool" look you probably wouldn't want to smack an overall coolness to it but do it to a certain part of the image. For example keeping the skin tone normal will give a pretty interesting look if the image is overall greenish/blueish. Dunno how much this is actually doable in Lumetri because IMO it's really terrible when it comes to any kind of secondary color correction.

Return to posts index

Ben Walters
on Jun 6, 2017 at 11:14:52 am

Once you "cool down the footage", i would recommend doing a secondary and warming up just the skin tones. That should give you a more balanced image.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 6, 2017 at 12:07:20 pm

how are you getting the look? if you apply a blue tint, then everything will wash out and look flat. if you offset the white balance you'll get a much better result as all colors will rotate at the same rate. better still, use an alpha matte on keyed red channel, and a blue/green on the other channels. this separates actors from the background.(you need to soften the matte to not get pixellation for this to work). you can try a lumetri secondary color correction in premiere but I find adding a thousand special procedural grading effects in premiere super cumbersome.

I neutralize all my clips to one standard with premiere's scopes, them render out for AE. Since everything now matches, I just drag sliders around like a plugin till I get the look I want. It's like a poor man's magic bullet.

My AE technicolor aep has a built in tint red channel precomp you can enable or you can try a lumetri secondary color correction.
ae 2015cc effects built in: techicolor, smart luma, smart sharpen, red tint, background tint, glow rolloff.
https://f1.creativecow.net/file.php?id=9780&folder=ae-technicolor-cc-2015

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]