FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I export the smallest possible mp4 file

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Colton
How do I export the smallest possible mp4 file
on Jun 5, 2017 at 12:37:43 am

I have a client who wants me to create a number of USB flash drives for a high school band. In addition to the short video that I am editing for them and a few folders of photos, they also want me to add video that they took of each concert during the year. They will likely give them to me as MOV files, and then I imagine I will run them through Media Encoder to get them ready to put on the USB drives.

I would like these files to be as small as possible, because I don't want them to have to buy 16 or 32 gig drives for each member of the band. How can I set my settings on Media Encoder (in terms of bit rate etc.) to get the smallest possible file that won't look totally awful?

The videos were all taken from a tripod, so there will be very little motion.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: How do I export the smallest possible mp4 file
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:14:22 pm

File size will depend in part on the length of these elements, so you can only push it so far. I will routinely deliver 5-8Mbps at 720P for broadcast, and it is perfectly acceptable. You will need to try it to see if it "fits the bill" for you.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 5, 2017 at 3:03:38 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 5, 2017 at 3:06:23 pm

I happen to volunteer as the announcer for a high school marching band. I fully understand that schools throw around quarters as if they were manhole covers.
If this is a concert band, the music will be more important than the motion. So I can think of a couple of space-saving measures:

Cut the frame rate -- you don't need smooth motion if there's little motion. Maybe 15 fps... maybe 10 fps!

Cut the amount of vertical & horizontal resolution -- perhaps 640 x 360 would suffice for 16 x 9 video.

Make a CUSTOM preset in AME to do this. One that has fairly heavy compression on video but not on audio. Combined with small dimensions and reduced frame rate, it could be pretty small! Apply it to a short test clip. Show it to the band directors & get opinions.

Depending on how things work out, 16 gig thumb drives might do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 5, 2017 at 3:08:34 pm

Using this setting you will be at about 100MB per minute and it will look great. (1MB per sec=8Mbps)
If you need smaller, crank down your target and max bitrate. 3Mbs is minimum for 1080.
1280 X 720 is another option for reducing bitrate to 2Mbs.

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 5, 2017 at 3:18:12 pm

There is supposed to be an attached image showing media encoder settings. If it doesn't show up soon, I will post it to dropbox.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]