FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing 4K - stutter after render

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry Cheng
Editing 4K - stutter after render
on Jun 4, 2017 at 12:12:42 pm

Editors, I have not been here for a while but recently started playing with 4K and find myself in a pinch. Wondering if you would give me some advice. Am I missing the Hardware power, software or what? Setup:

RAM: 16G
HDD: 7200RPM 1.5T+ space on the Video Drive & 500G+ on the drive where premiere runs from; both internal HDDs
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

Editing: Premiere Pro CS5 (I know this is old, but, it seems to be able to bring in 4K)
Really no special effects have been applied to clip...

What is the culprit? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Perry

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Editing 4K - stutter after render
on Jun 4, 2017 at 6:08:43 pm

Are you talking about rendering the timeline for effects, etc., or rendering out to a finished deliverable, that is, a separate file?

If the latter, what format/codec are you rendering to?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jun 5, 2017 at 11:14:43 am

Jon, TY for your reply. I am talking about editing in the timeline, not export. Export are fine. Just very sluggish editing. I can preview ~2s in realtime, but, it starts stutter/sluggish preview on the editing window. TY

Sincerely,
Perry

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jun 7, 2017 at 1:36:11 am

Can someone please help answer this question. Why wouldn't my setup good enough to edit (in Premiere CS5) for 4K video? Would upgrading the RAM to 32G help?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 7, 2017 at 4:27:36 am

Playing back 4K requires more than one drive. You need at least 2 drives RAIDED....more the better.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 7, 2017 at 3:14:50 pm

I'd guess that the computer itself is several years old, based on using CS5 and GTX570 - you didn't tell us the processor used, which is most important thing.

Regarding drive speed, probably not the issue. at least for playing native footage - 4K from consumer/prosumer cameras might be only 100mbps, which is equivalent to 4 DV streams, which most any SATA drive can handle with ease. Of course, when you get into "Professional" formats then the codecs can be much heavier and would indeed require RAID storage.

Really, I think that overall you just have a computer that is getting older and that is the core issue, it just can't keep up.

Please let us know which processor you are running and what the footage is, from what device (camcorder model or action camera, etc).

You also mentioned a stutter after render - do you mean you rendered part of the timeline to "green"? In that case, what Preview codec are you using? That could actually be overwhelming the hard drive, if the Preview codec is heavier than the source, which is very likely as source codecs are typically H.264-based and the Preview codec will be something less compressed, which for 4K means big files!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jun 9, 2017 at 4:45:41 am

Jeff, ty for your help. Processor is i7. It doesn't stutter after render or after output to h.264 1080p. Just having hard time editing. Yes I realize CS5 is old but can't afford to upgrade at this time.

Return to posts index

Perry Cheng
on Jun 9, 2017 at 4:49:07 am

BTW, system drive is a 256G SSD while video drive and 2 others are HDD 7200rpm. Ram is only 16G.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]