FORUMS: list search recent posts

from full HD to Flat DCP in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Guarri
from full HD to Flat DCP in Premiere
on Jun 3, 2017 at 3:23:27 pm

Hi,
I edited a 1920 x 1080 project for TV in Premiere with 1.85:1 footage, then I have a minor letterbox. Now I need to export to DCP 1998x1080 /1.85:1) and I want to upscale my footage to perfectly fit the DCP container. If I do it in Premiere I have to upscale every edit one by one. What if I slightly upscale it in Media Encoder during the export? Does scaling in the timeline produce a better result than scaling in media encoder? (It's just a 4% upscale).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: from full HD to Flat DCP in Premiere
on Jun 3, 2017 at 3:35:45 pm

Export to a lossless video codec. Re-import into PP, use custom sequence settings, scale as necessary and export for delivery.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Guarri
on Jun 3, 2017 at 5:46:16 pm

Thanks for you hint. I'd like to avoid a double export.
Is nesting the edit and scale in a new sequence a viable option?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:51:08 am

Probably not. You can try it, but don't be disappointed if it fails. When it does, the prospect of exporting to a lossless intermediate codec starts looking pretty good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Sep 7, 2017 at 8:13:21 pm

Yes, nesting will do what you want.

Return to posts index

francois maurin
on Jun 7, 2017 at 11:01:25 pm

No need to scale each shot. Create a new 1998 x 1080 sequence, nest your 1920 x 1080 sequence into it, scale it by 104.
Is it better or worse than AME?... Probably same. Check "Use Max Render Quality" for best scaling in Export settings.

Return to posts index

Aaron Owen
on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:57:15 pm

You could allow your 1:78 film to exist at it's original resolution inside the 1998x1080 flat container. This would result in a slight pillar box on either side, which is not going to be noticeable in the theater unless their masking is spot on. My experience is that in most theaters, you won't be able to tell the difference between 1:78 and 1:85 since the difference is so slight once projected.

Viewing a projected image is much more forgiving than viewing on a screen with a built-in edge.

Cinema Mastering & DCP Authoring
cinematiq.com | dcp-transfer.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]