FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere terribly sluggish after manipulating titles

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Gowan
Premiere terribly sluggish after manipulating titles
on Jun 2, 2017 at 5:34:15 am

I'm working on a demanding project including hundreds of hours of 4k footage, mostly ProRes but some .mp4 from GoPro, DJI, GH4, as well as hundreds of .jpgs. I would expect this kind of project to push the performance limits of Premiere on my late 2013 Mac Pro (6-core, 32GB ram, dual AMD D700's), but when I use the simple text titler, performance becomes so sluggish that I can't work with it anymore. Playback still functions, but the commands to start/stop are so delayed that I can't use a start-stop method to find a cut point, the audio meters are so delayed that they are completely useless.
I was wondering if there was some problem with my ram. Since there is no way to "purge ram" via Premiere, someone suggested opening After Effects and purging ram from there, but this did not improve performance. The only way I can get back to normal performance is by re-launching, which takes several minutes for a project this size. When I relaunch, performance is good...until I need to add or adjust another title, then back to crap.
Any ideas? Doesn't seem to be a ram issue...what else could this be? Are there other/new titling options in Premiere that don't have this problem?

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Premiere terribly sluggish after manipulating titles
on Jun 2, 2017 at 5:46:57 am

a quick fix would be to make all of your titles outside of premiere and then import them.

any chance you can project manage a bit and thin it out? You can also delete caches within premiere.

Adobe Premiere 2017.1.1
Windows 10 Pro
Samsung SSD 850 EVO system
Samsung SSD 850 EVO Adobe cache
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
OWC Thunderbay 12t x 2 in Raid10 configuration (thru Storage Spaces and Disk Management)

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 2, 2017 at 6:42:04 am

Sounds like an extension of the issues I've seen when importing new assets into a large project with a library of over 1.8TB. Same Mac specs, including same issues seen on an 8 core with 64GB of ram.

In one case, purging the project just isn't an option so it seems that cc isn't he right tool for doing long form editing with large media folders.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Jun 4, 2017 at 6:46:17 pm

Interesting.
Yes, I have nearly 27TB of assets connected to this project. I've cleaned it up as much as possible. And like I said, it runs fine until I try using the titler.
Next large project, I'm giving the new Resolve a try.

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Jun 4, 2017 at 6:44:37 pm

I think that creating graphics outside of premiere would be just as labor-intensive as working with the clunkiness of Premiere's titler.
I did some managing of the project, but it's still a large project. I've got nearly 27TB of assets (mostly 4k ProRes shot on Black Magic Cinema Camera [older model, shot in 2014]).
I believe that Premiere has since improved this issue, but this project was begun several years ago, when Premiere re-imported corresponding clips when you imported a sequence from a different project file. So I have several duplicate clips in my project bin, and there's no way for me to clean that up because some of them are being used in my timeline. Do you know if that would slow down performance?
Thanks for the thoughts.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 4, 2017 at 7:44:20 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Jun 4, 2017 at 7:46:11 pm

what kind of drive are you accessing the media from? Performance with a large project like yours will primarily be determined by your thru put speed. Is it on a fast raid?

Is the titler still sluggish if you turn off your underlying video layer in your timeline?

Adobe Premiere 2017.1.1
Windows 10 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
OWC Thunderbay 12t x 2 in Raid10 configuration (thru Storage Spaces and Disk Management)

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Jun 4, 2017 at 7:57:49 pm

Yes, Thunderbolt 2 RAID.

Does anyone have tips on keeping a clean house with Premiere cache files? Is it worth dumping it every now and then and letting the files rebuild?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 4, 2017 at 9:15:29 pm

A general rule is to trash your cache files regularly. it may or may not solve your dilemma but it certainly can't hurt.

Adobe Premiere 2017.1.1
Windows 10 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 6, 2017 at 7:50:30 am

Same as Neil, all files on a gtech studio xl raid at raid 5 and half full, with performance still up to 1000mb/s for read speeds

I've tried cleaning the cache but this hasn't helped. That's 2 projects now that are virtually lost as importing new files (even MP3 files of less than 5Mb) sends the Mac unresponsive.

The exact same setup was used to edit longform projects in fcpx over over 8TB in assets and had no issues?

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]