FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Shift - Quicktime vs El Media vs Resolve

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Jackson
Color Shift - Quicktime vs El Media vs Resolve
on Jun 1, 2017 at 11:20:44 am

Hello to all,

this is my first post. I am working on the finishing touches of our first feature film to be shown in theaters. I am having a problem with my color. I am not a colorist and I have been doing the grading by eye, not using the scopes. When I export my video to ProRes 444 I like the way it looks when I view it in Elmedia player, but it seems much darker when I view it in Davinci Resolve. When I bring the clip into Premiere, it looks exactly like it does in Elmedia and it is the way I want it.

My fear is that when I send it to the studio to make a DCP the color will shift like it does in Davinci. I am attaching a picture of the three (Quick, Elmedia(premiere), and Davinci Resolve)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color Shift - Quicktime vs El Media vs Resolve
on Jun 1, 2017 at 4:40:21 pm

If you aren't grading with an external, calibrated broadcast monitor...you aren't looking at the proper color. If this is something to be shown in theaters, and color is critical...that this is a VERY important thing. The interfaces in most edit systems are NOT color accurate. The one in Resolve especially so. It's designed to be used with an external monitor. What you see on that screen is just to show you where you are, it's not color accurate. What I see there is always vastly different from what I see on my external broadcast monitor.

You aren't going to be playing this in Premiere...people aren't going to be watching this on an El Media player...it's going to be projected in a theater. Because of that, you need a proper monitor.

If this was for the web, then Premiere and El Media might be fine...but note that if people watch on Vimeo via Safari, or Firefox, or Chrome...it'll look different. If they use Quicktime (if it's downloadable), or VLC...it'll look different. Just like how what I do on my monitor looks fine, but people watching on their LG, or their Samsung, Panasonic, Sony or other TV, it'll look different, as they all are set up different. And depending on what cable system distributes it, it'll look different from what I have.

All you can do is use proper monitoring and make sure it looks good on your end. You can't control how it looks on everyone's computer. But also, if this is intended for theatrical, you need to monitor in a way that'll mimic what it'll look like on a big screen, projected. And Premiere and El Media won't do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brian Jackson
Re: Color Shift - Quicktime vs El Media vs Resolve
on Jun 2, 2017 at 7:14:41 am

Wow. Haha, I don't know whether to thank you or cry hahaha,

How big of a difference are we talking? I have a BenQSW2700 and I did all the grading inside of premiere. Is there anyway to see it correctly on the benq?

I am going to be going to Madrid to do all the final output stuff there and I guess I would see the final output on a calibrated monitor, if there was anything big I would see it then.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]