FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence Settings Advice Please

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Fuller
Sequence Settings Advice Please
on Jun 1, 2017 at 12:55:04 am

Hello Premiere editors this is my first post. Need a little help getting to know whats important with the settings of my sequences.

When i started using Premiere i would not make a file>new>sequence. I would just drag the imported media into the timeline and hadn't thought much about the resolution, i assumed the resolution ect settings would be what the imported material was.

Then id export using what i think best matches my input media: 3840x2160, 29.97fps, progressive, quality 100, DNxHR/DNxHD, uncompressed.

Then i read somewhere about making a new sequence and it seemed like best practice to work in a sequence settings that match my export so i started a project fresh. I chose file>new>sequence and picked UHD 29.97 DNxHR HQ UHD 29.97

Now here is where i reach a my problem. When i drag my footage into this sequence i cant drop the video in. Although i can drop in the audio lines and attach the audio to the timeline i cant drop it in the video lines, it has the prohibited symbol in the cursor icon. So i tried a few other sequence choices, pal and DNxHD and another but all do the same thing, cant drop in the video but can drop the audio.

So im wondering is there any advantage to choosing sequence settings or should i just let the media choose its own sequence settings?

If it is advantageous to choose sequence settings like my export settings why isnt it working for me? My media is XVAC S 3840x2160, 29.97fps which i believe is 8 bit color. XVAC S is Sony's consumers MPEG4 wrapper.
Thankyou for your time :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sequence Settings Advice Please
on Jun 1, 2017 at 1:28:30 am

Try converting the footage to something else, like DNxHD. XAVC-S is problematic when it comes to editing, even in Premiere.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Fuller
on Jun 1, 2017 at 1:48:08 am

Thankyou for your help

Is there any advantage to choosing a sequence setting as opposed to just dropping the media in the timeline and letting it create a sequence without it having preset settings?

At the end of the day once i export it, will the sequence settings impact on the result? In my mind i have the idea that nothing actually happens to any of the footage until it all gets rendered as i export so I am looking for a reason to pay attention to sequence settings as it just seems inconsequential at the moment, but i realise it must be important for some reason or it wouldn't be an option :)

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 1, 2017 at 2:41:59 am

No advantage, really. And you can always change the sequence settings afterwards. You don't have to keep the settings your footage has created, although for the most part Premiere Pro will choose the best settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]