FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why do my shirts always "solarize"?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Why do my shirts always "solarize"?
on May 29, 2017 at 1:47:23 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on May 29, 2017 at 1:53:32 pm

This is really getting perplexing. OOC files are fine, but obviously I'm doing something wrong either in exposure or post production. As you can see in this still from a recent video, everything looks fine except my shirt, which looks like I've put a solarization filter on it. This happens no matter what color shirt I wear. Green, white, orange, light brown, dark brown, I always get that same effect even though everything else in the shot looks normal.

I'm sure there's someone out there who will see this and will say "Oh, that looks like you've lowered the shadows too much" or something like that. All I know is I think it's weird that only my shirts get affected, and a solution to this would be most appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
Re: Why do my shirts always "solarize"?
on May 29, 2017 at 3:32:13 pm

whats an OOC file?
And How do u know it looks fine?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on May 29, 2017 at 5:30:05 pm

1. OOC = Out of camera
2. Because I'm not totally blind. The effect doesn't show up before I start color correcting/grading.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on May 29, 2017 at 6:30:22 pm

Looks like compression blocking. What codec are you using for previews, and have you tried any other(s)?

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 29, 2017 at 8:52:05 pm

Are you using some baked in look from the camera?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 29, 2017 at 10:28:39 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on May 29, 2017 at 10:30:55 pm

Are you using curves to grade? If so, what happens when you don't use them? Have you compared the same shots in other apps - FCPX, Resolve, After Effects, etc.?

FWIW - if these shots are after grading, they are extremely dark. How dark did they start out as?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 30, 2017 at 10:40:55 pm

There are certain corrections using lumetri tools that can do that.

try checking or unchecking the HDR box and see if it has any affect.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 1, 2017 at 2:35:57 am

For some reason I no longer get emails when I receive a response. Now I've got all these responses to try and remember.

First, the video isn't as dark as those photos. That actually happened AFTER I uploaded the pics. I'm beginning to think my graphics card or monitor is going bad.

Second, no, I don't use curves of any kind. Sometimes to experiment but not as a general rule. I use a PC so I can't use FCPX, DaVinci Resolve crashes on me almost immediately so I can't use that either. After Effects gets so bogged down it's useless to me. So I can only go by Premiere Pro.

Third, I use the youtube 1080p codec but also the youtube 4K codec, which is what I used here. I've also tried exporting to DNxHD with the same result.

No, Tero, no baked in looks. CineD with everything normally set to -5 (saturation -3). I'll try all 0 or all -2. Same result. Again, it's only my shirt, no matter what color or fabric, that does this. And it's not present in the straight out of camera files.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jun 2, 2017 at 7:23:35 pm

It's a codec and color depth issue.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:52:56 pm

Agree with the codec and color depth issue.
In your sequence settings, change editing mode to Custom and modify your Preview file format to something that is HQ.
Experiment.

If you take your camera file, and crank up the black levels, you will either see banding in the shirt or not.
Then render your color corrected clip with your Preview File Format set for something professional. Youtube is only for a final export after you master your material to a HQ format.

Like back in the old days, you would master to D2 and dub to VHS, not the other way around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]