FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAW to Pro Res how much am I losing?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Sneed
RAW to Pro Res how much am I losing?
on May 25, 2017 at 11:42:55 pm

I have RAW 4.6k dng footage. I want to edit in Premiere and finish coloring in Davinci. Since I'm using a lot of keyed changes to zoom, position, opacity, etc. would I be losing a ton of information if I convert the RAW files into ProRes 4444xq files?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: RAW to Pro Res how much am I losing?
on May 26, 2017 at 12:46:57 am

Of course you will be losing lots of data, but data bits are meaningless in the video world if your final product is being displayed on the web, or on HD TVs, or over highly compressed satellite TV, etc.

So, where is your final product headed? Without that info no one can even begin to answer your question with any degree of precision that will be helpful to you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Anthony Sneed
on May 26, 2017 at 2:54:06 am

It's a short film that will go to festivals and probably end up online at some point. It's mostly shot in 4K and final output to HD

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 26, 2017 at 12:04:02 pm

you'll lose a few stops latittude. but if everything is exposed fine, there's nothing to worry about.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 26, 2017 at 2:24:34 pm

Can you make proxies to edit with and then enable the RAW once you're ready for color grading/finishing?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 26, 2017 at 2:34:09 pm

i'm inferring that he is exporting for other tools like AE. even so, a 32bit EXR can hold the RAW latitude if necessary. but yes, I agree that proxies are the best way to go. dynamic link might be a little too cumbersome.

Return to posts index

Anthony Sneed
on May 26, 2017 at 11:42:17 pm

I guess the problem is this. I have a LOT of speed changes and I'm using Twixtor in Premiere in addition to zooms, position and opacity changes. The Zoom position stuff will translate to DaVinci but the Twixtor stuff isn't compatible so then would the BEST thing to do, is export the RAW using Davinci to a high res file type, make the twixtor speed changes in Premiere then export again to the same high res format then bring it all into Davinci?

If that makes sense, what settings for an high res file format would you suggest? Pro Res 4444xq?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]