FORUMS: list search recent posts

always getting errors / crashes when rendering

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Tyler
always getting errors / crashes when rendering
on May 25, 2017 at 2:54:48 pm

So I was about to render out a project and I am getting this error within Premiere:

and Encoder:

Also my Macbook already crashed once..

Why's this happening and what do I do ??
Was meant to hand in the project today... :/

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
Re: always getting errors / crashes when rendering
on May 25, 2017 at 3:04:16 pm

First thing is do not export to your desktop. An old story I was told is that the desktop files are in some way system cached and a over a few gigs on the desktop is a performance hit. Dont know if that is true, but it is sloppy media management at best.

Next what is happening at 2:19? Is it a previously rendered file?

Mark an In and OUT around that problem and render just that section to narrow down what is happening.
I had a similar thing yesterday, and for no reason the renderer would not compile one tiny simple clip.
I changed the scale size slightly as a test and it rendered. Then I reset the scale back to normal and the bug did not come back. May be a different deal with your issue, but the point is to narrow down what is happening.

It could be your source file is wanked. (technical term).
Another option is to Export out the timeline to something other than H264, like pro res or something. Check your sequence settings and see what your native render format is currently set to.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 25, 2017 at 3:18:36 pm

Yeah, I agree with everything Dan wrote. Do what he says to narrow down the problem.

I'll second the notion of NOT going straight to H.264. Render to ProRes to have a high-quality, archival file. Then use it to encode to H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Tyler
on May 25, 2017 at 11:30:20 pm

when we're talking about format...
I've now tried to render out ProRes 422... and compared side by side to h264 with relatively high settings.

And couldn't see any difference at all.. the h264 seemed to look even better in terms of sharpness.

But I know that people are talking about ProRes 422 being superior in quality compared to h264.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on May 25, 2017 at 8:25:23 pm

I've had similar things happen that usually involve a large graphic or a third party plugin. I've also had Media Encoder do something similar, but worked rendering out from PPro. So best to look at what happens at 2:19:21. Can't say that rendering to a different codec will help, never did in my case.
TC

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on May 25, 2017 at 8:50:22 pm

Hey Mike,

Sorry for the trouble. What everyone said is pretty spot on. If you're on a time crunch, rather than trying to figure out the cause you might want to try exporting the sequence in Software rendering mode. This should allow you to get the export out.

Once you get your sequence exported, we can try to figure out what's going on.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Mike Tyler
on May 25, 2017 at 10:58:44 pm

thanks so much guys for the quick responses...

I tried all of your suggestions and they all come in handy - also managed to solve the issue.
And will know what to do next time when something similar happens ☺

Was actually a third party plugin causing the issue..

Peter, how would I go about rendering in software mode ? Never heard of that actually... and google didn't return much either.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on May 25, 2017 at 11:21:41 pm

Glad you got it figured out.

To render in software (using the CPU only) go to File> Project Settings > General. From the Video Rendering and Playback dropdown menu, select 'Mercury Playback Engine Software only'

If you want to learn more details on rendering in Premiere Pro there's lots and lots of info here:

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adob...

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 25, 2017 at 9:11:05 pm

I have also run into this. Usually if you render your entire sequence (Render In to Out) in Premiere, you will see the green bar appearing over your clips as it is rendering, then it will fail and you will get an error message at wherever the issue is. This will help you narrow it down to whatever clip/effect is causing the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]