FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro Conforming Taking too Long

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Retzel
Premiere Pro Conforming Taking too Long
on May 25, 2017 at 1:51:53 pm

Hey, everyone! I'm still new to Premiere Pro and editing in general, and whenever I start work on a new project I almost always get a message saying that it's conforming. I'm pretty sure it's the audio that it is working with. What I'm trying to figure out is 1. What is Premiere actually doing? And 2. how can I speed this up.

I recently upgraded from an i3 processor to an i7, from a GTX 970 GPU to 1060, and from 8 GB RAM to 32 GB RAM, mostly to speed up editing in 3D editors, and this seemed to help a bit, but some large files still take a while to conform.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Premiere Pro Conforming Taking too Long
on May 25, 2017 at 2:23:15 pm

I guess I'm confused by the term, "conform". I know it as the process of assigning a new frame rate to footage. Nothing else changes, just the free rate.

What happens if you highlight a clip and make a timeline based on that clip? Do you get the same response from PP?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Retzel
on May 25, 2017 at 3:14:58 pm

When I import a project, usually from a capture card occasionally from a DSLR I get a message with a loading bar in the bottom right saying "Conforming "File name"" And I can't see the waveform until it is done, which leads me to believe it has to do with processing audio into Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 25, 2017 at 3:31:47 pm

[Gary Retzel] "When I import a project, usually from a capture card..."

I doubt you're doing that, unless you happen to save Premere Pro project files on SD cards. Hey, it could happen but it's highly unlikely. You're importing DSLR Footage into a PP project.

I encourage you describe in greater detail exactly what you're doing without using technical lingo you think is correct. Also, please tell us about the media container & codec of the footage you're trying to import. In the case of the footage, the specs are good.
For greater diagnostic clarity, knowing your software/os versions, technical specs of your machine, and your PP project settings will also be valuable.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on May 25, 2017 at 3:05:40 pm

I think it has something to do with drawing audio waveforms. What version of PP are you on? I remember seeing that months ago.

Return to posts index

Gary Retzel
on May 25, 2017 at 3:13:00 pm

I'm on Premiere Pro CC 2017

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 25, 2017 at 7:18:11 pm

[Gary Retzel] "Hey, everyone! I'm still new to Premiere Pro and editing in general, and whenever I start work on a new project I almost always get a message saying that it's conforming. I'm pretty sure it's the audio that it is working with. What I'm trying to figure out is 1. What is Premiere actually doing? And 2. how can I speed this up."

You are exactly correct. Premiere conforms nearly all kinds of incoming audio, creating separate audio streams on-disk for faster real-time processing and playback. More information here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/premiere-keeps-conforming-files-ope...
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-digital-audio.html#con...

There's only one case where audio will not be conformed: "Premiere Pro does not conform audio in uncompressed clips that were recorded in one of the natively supported sample rates, when you use these clips in sequences with matching sample rates."

Well, one and a half cases: "If the conformed audio is used in a sequence with a non-matching sampling rate, as when a 44,100Hz clip is used in a 44,000Hz sequence, the audio will play back at the sample rate of the sequence without further conforming."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gary Retzel
on May 26, 2017 at 2:12:25 am

Okay, I thought it might be something along those lines, thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 26, 2017 at 1:38:40 pm

I learned something new -- the term, "conform" has more than one meaning. I hadn't yet run into the need to conform audio.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:22:47 pm

Did any one solve the problem?

I often have hours of single camera sports coverage that I wasn't view, select and to edit as quickly as possible.

I need very little of the footage.

I have to wait "hours" on each ingest for Premiere Pro to "conform"

there must be an easier way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]