FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping a PC safe

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Keeping a PC safe
on May 24, 2017 at 2:29:55 pm

After 20+ years of using Mac I'm upgrading to a PC system. It is mostly for Premiere editing (which is why I choose this forum). From the PC community what is the best way to keep a system safe from viruses and not make it crawl, which seems like what happens with installing anti-virus software. Is Windows defender enough?

It will be a laptop and will have Windows 10 Pro. It will have to connect to a local network as well as the internet. Internet surfer is kept to a minimum, only going to know corporate sites. I use a lot of USB3 drives that are attached when needed.

Looking for suggestions and practices. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Keeping a PC safe
on May 24, 2017 at 4:49:16 pm

The safest way? Don't connect your editing machine to the internet. Connect only when you have to, to update the software by which you make a living.

Get a cheapo machine for an internet connection. Put anti-virus on it. Need stuff off the internet? That's what thumb drives and anti-virus scans are for.

I didn't say it was elegant. But it IS pretty darned safe.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 24, 2017 at 5:10:20 pm

Carrying two systems with you is just not practical. I understand that with everything you do you add a level of vulnerability but there has to be suggested steps to take.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 25, 2017 at 3:02:10 am

I'm not sure what you mean, "not practical". It reads suspiciously like, "a bit inconvenient", which it is. But impractical? Hard to say. I suppose malware also results in a situation which is not practical.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 25, 2017 at 4:39:25 am

So no one out there uses a PC to edit that is connected to the internet, uses it to check email. Take it to a coffee shop to do a little work? Every PC is almost completely locked down. Takes 2 computers EVERYWHERE they go. Your onsite and you have your editing laptop and then a second to get connected.

If so, this would confirm every Mac person's evaluation of why not to go with a PC.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 25, 2017 at 11:56:21 am

you're delving into the deep realm of security. without getting into security plus terms 'n stuff.

1. keep windows up to date. and all drivers. even firmware.
2. don't use adobe flash for anything, ever.
3. google chrome has the least attack vectors.
4. don't open email attachments.
5. never enter personal data into a non https:// server ie.e http://
6. if you go to a coffee shop, always use a VPN.
7. if you're really paranoid, you can sandbox your web browsing in a virtualbox then anti-virus scan it in the virtual box and port it over to your actual windows.

as for antivirus, I wouldn't use windows defender, it has more holes than a coffee grinder.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 25, 2017 at 3:26:12 pm

Chris,

Thanks, very helpful.

Is there an anti-virus software and settings you recommend.

Wish flash would just go away for good.

I'm not paranoid, just want to be cautious and start off with good habits. I will look into sandboxing.

As for #6, I have a VPN at my house that allows me to get to servers when I'm on the road. You recommend using that so the web traffic is going through the company firewall before getting to me?

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on May 25, 2017 at 9:10:55 pm

Michael,
I made the switch last year and use the PC (desktop workstation) strictly for editing. That said, I connect to the internet to upload to Vimeo and for updates to plug-ins (Red Giant, BCC). That's pretty much it. I have my old Mac workstation sitting right next to the PC and use it for email, purchases, browsing, etc. If I buy production music on-line I do it on the Mac and then throw it into Dropbox, which is also on the PC.
I rarely edit away from my office but I take a Mac laptop into the field for footage transfers and some rough edits. This arrangement has, so far, been very efficient. Works for me.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Neal

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
http://www.oneproductionplace.com
Current FIlm:
Help Us Find Sunil Tripathi
http://www.HelpUsFindSunilTripathi.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jun 3, 2017 at 3:02:43 am
Last Edited By greg janza on Jun 3, 2017 at 3:06:58 am

Michael, I agree that the idea of not having an edit system connected to the internet or having a second computer for web use is completely impractical. I also recently switched to a PC after 20 plus years on a mac and it's hard to get used to the idea of your computer being vulnerable since macs tend to be exempt.

My edit workflow is a continual combination of internet acquired media (music, sound effects, pictures and video) and also local media on a raid. I couldn't function efficiently if I had my edit system offline.

But naturally it does add risk. All of Chris's suggestions are spot on. I also use a vpn on my home system and a malware monitoring program.

Adobe Premiere 2017.1.1
Windows 10 Pro
Samsung SSD 850 EVO system
Samsung SSD 850 EVO Adobe cache
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
OWC Thunderbay 12t x 2 in Raid10 configuration (thru Storage Spaces and Disk Management)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]