FORUMS: list search recent posts

applying effects too slow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Tyler
applying effects too slow
on May 22, 2017 at 8:23:56 am

Hey,

so I am editing some 4k footage, already got it down to 1/8 res, preview file format (in sequence settings) to P2 1080i and made 1080p proxies (which also took ages to encode in Media encoder)..

I've also pre-render the in and out points. I get a fluent playback, but with adding effects (color correction) I have to wait couple of seconds to even see the result of my changes. And immediately as I move a slider, the green bar above the timeline turns to red again. WTF ?

I am editing on a Macbook Pro Retina and usually things are pretty fast..

So I guess I am doing something wrong here ?

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: applying effects too slow
on May 22, 2017 at 1:20:44 pm

Is your media on separate storage, preferably a RAID array? What is your connection to that storage?

Once you add color correction, every pixel is changed from any pre-rendering you had done.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 22, 2017 at 1:58:46 pm

4K on a laptop, expecting miracles.

Consider how many more pixels you're dealing with. Do some arithmetic and compare the number of 4K pixels to the number of HD pixels.

Consider the codec in which this footage was recorded. It may be very computationally-intensive.

Consider your storage device. It may be incapable of a sufficiently- high bitrate for real time playback.

Personally, I would transcode that 4K footage to ProRes 422 to take a lot of strain off the processors.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Tyler
on May 22, 2017 at 6:07:06 pm

I did transcode to proxies.. this time I tried to ProRes 422.. again, the playback is smooth but color correction is lagging.

Impossible that a 1080 ProRes422 file at 1/8 of resolution is doing this..

Also, where does the pre-rendering from in to out point come in useful ? When anytime you make a change it gets reset..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]