FORUMS: list search recent posts

General question about rendering

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
General question about rendering
on May 17, 2017 at 5:40:43 pm

I've been editing a lot of government and non-profit content that's well over an hour running time (talking head mostly, single camera). The footage (XDCAM EX 1080i60 (35 Mb/s VBR 1920x1080) always requires some color correction, which I place on an adjustment layer and I add a broadcast safe video limiter after the Lumetri (usually curves). On the layer above that I stack a background image lower third. The layer above that is the titles--usually the name of the person speaking...lots of speakers.

For export, on this particular timeline, I chose Match Sequence Settings, and the 90 minute timeline (mentioned above) rendered in 52 minutes. The file is 20 gigs.

Of course there were changes. So I used the rendered file to change ONLY 5 seconds of the call to action title slate. That's it -- I did this figuring I wouldn't have the re-render the whole timeline again, but (used Match Sequence Settings again) it appears I do. And that's my question. This render (still going) will take about 30 minutes.

But essentially shouldn't AME be copying the already rendered-files and not processing? Activity Monitor is all systems go, so it is rendering, yet I was expecting simply more of a file transfer process.

The general question is: how do I fix this? it doesn't seem quite right.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: General question about rendering
on May 17, 2017 at 7:10:13 pm

You can export a ProRes or DNxHD master. Then if you need to make a change, duplicate your sequence, drop the master video file on top of everything and simply cut it out where you need to make the change. It should dramatically decrease your render time.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 17, 2017 at 7:11:07 pm

[Daniel Waldron] "It should dramatically decrease your render time.
"

Is there a reason why?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 17, 2017 at 7:47:08 pm

It doesn't have to process all the color correction/effects again as they are already baked in to the video.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 18, 2017 at 8:02:39 pm

THanks!

I thought I was doing that, but it only works with particular codec and wrappers. I was using the wrong secret sauce. The footage I received was XDCAM EX in a quicktime wrapper. I guess I should use prelude or ffmpeg to transcode the footage into one of adobe's special smart render.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on May 17, 2017 at 9:16:56 pm

Best is not to use Match Sequence Settings but pick a preset. Just to avoid ending up with exporting with the wrong codec.
What is your preview codec in your sequence settings.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 18, 2017 at 9:43:10 am

Watch this video on "smart rendering" and using previews:

And check out this article for a list of supported formats for smart rendering:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/smart-rendering.html

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 18, 2017 at 5:31:29 pm

a-ha!

I was given XDCAM EX in a quicktime wrapper!!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]