FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media manager error

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Media manager error
on May 12, 2017 at 6:03:43 pm

So I'm trying to media manage a sequence to a new drive so that we give the online facility ONLY the assets used in the cut. A typical thing. Avid does this, FCP 7 and FCX do this. And NOW supposedly PPro does this. Only, it's not. I keep getting this error:

"an unknown error occurred during the project manager operation. Please save your project and retry this operation."

What I do is select the Media Manager...and in the SEQUENCE list, choose the sequence I want and ONLY that one (It's selected by default). I choose the COLLECT FILES AND COPY TO NEW LOCATION...choose a destination path, and click OK. It saves the project, analyzes the files...and then pops up with the error. Every time.

Steps I've done to try to address this:

1) Removed all TEMP footage and only had the shot footage clips in the timeline...the camera master footage if you will. Linked to Proxies. Still got the error.

2) In addition to that, I removed all the audio...same error.

3) Tried with only stock footage, not camera masters. Same error

4) Tried to move to three separate hard drives, with different connections. Same error.

5) In the OPTIONS, I unchecked INCLUDE AUDIO CONFORMS, INCLUDE PREVIEW FILES and RENAME MEDIA FILES TO MATCH CLIP...same error.

Ideas? Googling this brought up posts from 2011 and 2012...far too old. I'm using the most current PPro, 2017.0.1. Build 11.0.1 (6)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Media manager error
on May 14, 2017 at 3:57:07 am

Quit the program. Delete (or rename) your Media Cache and see if that has any effect.

As you know, I am a long time Avid user too, so i am used to this stuff "just working". With Premiere, it just doesn't. The Project Manager is very buggy and is prone to crazy inconsistent behavior. Some sequences, no matter what you do, will have clips that Project Manager will insist on copying the whole media file, even if you only used a few seconds. Other times, the process will fail with cryptic error messages (like what you are experiencing).

I have not used CC2017 in a production environment yet. I use CC2015 daily and I can tell you backing up and archiving projects is a painful experience compared to what you might be used to in Avid.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on May 15, 2017 at 4:49:12 pm

Hi Shane,

Here are a few things that I've seen that can trigger this error:

1. Copying to full drive (nearly full drive)
2. Spanned clips in the project
3. Enabling "Include Preview Files"
4. Copying to a long destination/file path and/or name
5. If the audio has been modified via Modify > Audio Channels

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on May 15, 2017 at 5:47:43 pm

Shane,

I echo Peter's checklist. Anytime I've had that issue it's either been a long directory path or a file name that has a space between the name and the file extension.

Jamie Pickell

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 15, 2017 at 6:36:08 pm

[Peter Garaway] "1. Copying to full drive (nearly full drive)"

Empty 4TB hard drive.

[Peter Garaway] " Spanned clips in the project"

Not linking to those. Proxies only, and stock footage. Tried many things, even MM only camera proxies...only stock footage...same error. Tried a 3 min section...same error. Tried ONE CLIP! Same error. NO, this is something else.

[Peter Garaway] "3. Enabling "Include Preview Files" "

Turned off that, and the other things it generates. Same issue

[Peter Garaway] "4. Copying to a long destination/file path and/or name"

Source path: EVO>Projects>ANL
Destination path: ANL ONLINE

[Peter Garaway] "5. If the audio has been modified via Modify > Audio Channels"

Nope...no modifications.

So I'm going to have to manually move only what's in the project..except that we have to move all of the camera masters. Total pain, but whatever...chalking it up to NLE quirkyness. Stuff like this happens all the time...works fine, then at one point, doesn't.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on May 15, 2017 at 7:38:35 pm

Shane -

I remember that several years/versions ago PPro Project Manager did not have the ability to trim master clips if they were long-GOP media. Project Management would work but those clips would remain full length. I watch in the new feature announcements for that limitation to be fixed and have never seen it.

- Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 16, 2017 at 5:24:49 am

Good thought...and one that makes sense. FCP couldn't do that either, nor Avid when it linked to masters. But I'm only linked to Proxies when it comes to the camera masters, and those aren't GOP. But I am sure some of the camera masters are GOP formats...so good call. Those I might just have to supply ALL the camera masters for the online.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 16, 2017 at 3:47:02 am

[Peter Garaway] "5. If the audio has been modified via Modify > Audio Channels"

You really need to make "match source" apply to audio as well as video in the project manager. The media managed files should simply copy the same audio layout as the original full length source material. It would alleviate a lot of issues.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 17, 2017 at 7:17:36 pm

6. File permissions are not wide open for everybody to read and write.

Return to posts index

Dave Harrison
on Sep 21, 2017 at 1:47:51 pm

A similar Cow post:

https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=3&postid=991308...

# 7 (Create a new, clean Premiere project and imported ONLY the sequence with the picture locked cut) worked for me!

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 21, 2017 at 2:34:25 pm

You've touched on one of the weakest aspects of Premiere. It's buggy and slow and it never gets better.

Meanwhile, the marketing push is now in full swing bloviating on all of the new and sexy features with the upcoming release but yet again bugs that have been problematic for quite some time remain ignored.

Adobe, why is it so difficult to correctly incorporate software features that have been standard NLE offerings for well over a decade? Could there be anything more basic than media managing a project?

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]