FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Banding

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lister
Color Banding
on May 12, 2017 at 2:03:20 am

I realize that this is probably a topic that many are tired of, but I'd really like to know why there's so much color banding on video. I also realize that Hollywood is using 4 or 6K to shoot on, but you never see any banding on a Hollywood film. Yet, isn't there a certain amount of compression even on RED? What type of systems are they editing on?

Does your video card have anything to do about how much banding you get? I'm using an Nvidia GTX 970, 32 Gigs RAM, i7 3.2 Sandybridge Intel, Crucial SSD drives (3), running Premiere Pro .

I shoot on P2, which I rather like, since there's not as much compression. I hate AVCHD, especially with all the damn compression. Apart from adding a small amount of noise to your video, is there any way at all to lessen the amount of banding?

I'm also having some trouble with Blu-ray disks, in that the video seems to get darker than what's on my timeline in Premiere. I can almost totally remove the contrast from the video, yet once I burn a disk, the contrast really increases!

Thanks in advance!
Phil
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Color Banding
on May 12, 2017 at 3:56:50 am

[Phil Lister] "I realize that this is probably a topic that many are tired of, but I'd really like to know why there's so much color banding on video."

One usually has a bunch of banding when shooting smooth gradients in an 8-bit format for example a clear sky. Bigger productions are being shot with better cameras with people who are professionals.

The computer that the project is being edited on has nothing to do with banding.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 12, 2017 at 11:13:55 am

there's a xavc premiere banding bug where you have to re-export back to MXF op1a again and import again.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2164402

also, using premiere's maximum bit depth will enable 32bpc composites. this won't
help much if the raw footage has banding, but it will composite better and help in extreme grading

max render quality for resize scaling.

there's banding like sky, then there's moire from small repeating patterns. you can blur those.
to stop banding,export 10 bit in camera or external prores recorder. Also, any lut that is
16,32 bit will create banding as will effects with 8bpc premiere tag. finally, the export 8 bit h.264 will create banding.you can use neatvideo to remove some banding.

if uploading to youtube/vimeo 8 bit:
a good trick is to export a high quality intermediate in 8 bit. then import/fix with neatvideo. then export final h.264. neat, huh?

if the bluray media looks good if you import back into premiere, then the player doesn't see 0-255 sRGB. The TV may need calibration. premiere and VLC(with opengl enabled) both see exactly the same gamma and RGB values.

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on May 12, 2017 at 4:54:17 pm

The raw footage doesn't appear to have any banding, or much at all. I wonder why Premiere doesn't have a 32 bit setting like After Effects does? This is rhetorical of course, but I would love to know why camera manufacturers don't make prosumer cameras that shoot in 10 or 12 bit color? I bet it wouldn't take much to do that!

Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 12, 2017 at 5:06:52 pm

"The raw footage doesn't appear to have any banding, or much at all."
you'll need to reply when you start seeing it. max bit depth enabled in premiere sequence; rendered seq; exported media 8/10 bit. luts used, effects used; uploaded as recompressed video;etc...

there is the GH5 that has 10 bit but it remains to be seen if its 10 bit actually helps much as it uses very compressed media.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 12, 2017 at 5:32:20 pm

[Phil Lister] "This is rhetorical of course, but I would love to know why camera manufacturers don't make prosumer cameras that shoot in 10 or 12 bit color? I bet it wouldn't take much to do that!"

How much do you want to pay for one? The Blackmagic cameras are pretty affordable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]