FORUMS: list search recent posts

media cache files am I doing damage or losing content when clean/deleting?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Yiannos
media cache files am I doing damage or losing content when clean/deleting?
on May 6, 2017 at 4:16:06 am

To remedy render crashes (h264 is main culprit,or was?) cache media files were cleaned.Leftover files were to be manually deleted. These files were labelled birds chirping dogs barking , engine, MEDIA CACHE was series of letters like photo or video labels used by operating systems etc etc. When deleting these files am I damaging projects or losing core database extras ie: Has Adobe included media files that we can use in our projects for atmos or background scenery or something like that? Then I come along and delete it and it is lost forever? Continuing on with my newbie essay what are the different caches used for ,needed for? (media cache files ,media cache database,anywhere cache). Thankyou for putting up with queries such as these but jedis do need to guide the feeble minded ones. Have parked them in my recycle bin in case I restore them afterall it would be a shame to mistakenly delete Deep sea eerie stress groans and bubbles.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: media cache files am I doing damage or losing content when clean/deleting?
on May 6, 2017 at 11:05:43 am

The next time you open a project those files related to the project all get re-created.

Return to posts index

Celia Morales Velaz
on May 6, 2017 at 5:59:53 pm

Hi Peter, those files are created by Premiere for every project you have, if you delete them, the next time you open each project the files are generated again.
Actually if you opened your project after sending the files to the trash (or recycle bin) probably you have two copies of those files right now, one in the original folder and other in the trash, so i recommend you to empty the trash to avoid duplicates.
If you deleted ONLY the files in Media Cache folders, then you lost nothing important.
Notice that you lost Cache files of all projects you worked in that Premiere version, so the next time you open one of them, you´ll have to wait for these files to be created again, if it´s a large project with a lot of media, it can take a while.

Celia Morales Velaz
Lead Video Editor at CodaFactory
Havana, Cuba.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on May 8, 2017 at 2:36:43 pm

In addition, be aware Adobe apps do not do any housecleaning for you, even if you later delete the project itself. Clearing the ever-growing collection of media cache files is up to you.

I routinely change the location where Adobe stores my cache files to get them off the OS/apps drive, because it can grow to fill the drive. Even then, some will end up on that drive. I routinely clean these folders out monthly.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on May 8, 2017 at 6:23:47 pm

It seems PPro now does do some housecleaning.
See item 8 here:
http://www.premierebro.com/blog/premiere-pro-cc-2017-1-10-little-things-to-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]