FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere pro performance

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alonzo Gutierrez
Premiere pro performance
on May 5, 2017 at 6:38:46 pm

I've read countless articles and forums only to find valuable info pertaining to Raid and expensive workstations.
I'm running a 21 in Mac upgraded to 3.2 ghz I believe and 16gb ram. I can edit perfectly fine 1080 footage but I still get lag sometimes. And I believe it's because I've been doing it all wrong.

So I'm slowly trying to build a good workstation with what I got now. I've upgraded my camera to 4K and been having trouble trying to edit it. I doubt with my setup I will be able too, and that's fine. I'll continue with 1080 for now, unless someone here has any reasonable ideas on how I can smoothly edit my 4K footage. Problem there lies in color grading and effects. Lags as soon as I apply anything.

My main reason for this post is I want to try and do it right now, by dedicating my drives for better performance. I have three right now. So if you can help with my three now, and I'll buy more and better later. But some advice on that is appreciated too.

My main drive I'm using for software and system solely. Nothing else anymore. Not even downloads.
My second, a 2tb G tech.
My third, a 1tb passport.
It's what I got for now.

I want to obviously dedicate projects, media, cache files, previews and exports to both of these. But I'm having trouble figuring out which to group together for the best performance.
Should I group my media and cache together? Or is that a problem? I know I shouldn't put everything on my computer harddrive as it will slow down my performance. So from your experience with this, using only my two drives I got now, which can I group together, for now, to edit more smoothly and keep a solid grip on organization and performance in premiere pro.

Thank you in advance. Hope you can help.
Alonzo G.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Premiere pro performance
on May 5, 2017 at 7:50:33 pm

The bottom line is that every company's claim of great unrendered, performance with mixed resolutions and codecs is marketing BS. My experience with a variety of machines using Premiere is that you get best performance when the project is using a single, optimized codec as a common frame rate. For 1080 and 4K, ProRes is best. For audio, use WAV or AIFF. Avoid MP3. If you shoot MP4 with a C100, you should be fine throughout. H264 from DJIs, GoPros, etc. is junk and will cause you grief. 4K is not for the faint of heart.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Alonzo Gutierrez
on May 5, 2017 at 7:58:58 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm actually shooting with a Panasonic G7. The 4K option records in MP4 so I assume that's junks and needs to be recoded? There's another option for avchd.
Any input on how I should set up my drives based on performance?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 5, 2017 at 8:22:50 pm

I would test the AVCHD option, otherwise transcode it all to ProRes first.

I typically keep my cache local and media and project files on the external. Ideally, you should have a second fast external, which you could use for the cache files. In that case, projects internal, cache on cache drive, media on media drive. USB3 or Thunderbolt 2 is a minimum for all of this.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Alonzo Gutierrez
on May 5, 2017 at 8:40:19 pm

Amazing. Thank you. I'll try this. And thanks for the fast responses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]