FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 footage imported in to project using one machine, is offline when the project is accessed from other machines connected to same network storage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
C300 footage imported in to project using one machine, is offline when the project is accessed from other machines connected to same network storage
on May 3, 2017 at 1:59:32 am

I'm working on a project with several editors and footage stored on a shared network storage device. For various reasons, the usual adage of leaving the folder structure of a camera card untouched was not followed for the majority of footage filmed for the project and this did not have ill effects.

However, some footage was shot on a C300, testing showed that if the MXF media was removed from the appropriate folder structure and accompanying files as generated by the camera, spanned clips were broken such that what should be a single clip, imports as individual parts of that clip with the two digit part number suffixes. No problem, I imported the footage again using the media browser with the structure and additional files all in place where they should be on disk. As expected the clips now had names two digits shorter than when imported the other way, and clips previously split in to multiple parts are now a single clip as far as Premiere is concerned. This was all fine except there is now a weird problem.

All the editors are working from Macs connected to the same storage via ethernet and if an editor opens the project on any machine on the network except the one I used specifically to import this c300 footage, then all that footage appears as offline, yet open it on the same machine I used to do the import, and it's all there just fine. If I'd known this would happen, I would have just lived with the minor inconvenience of spanned clips being broken up in to parts but since I've already done the import and sorting and made reels and sequences, I really don't want to have to do that all over again. Anyone know what's going on here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: C300 footage imported in to project using one machine, is offline when the project is accessed from other machines connected to same network storage
on May 3, 2017 at 5:11:51 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 3, 2017 at 6:07:17 pm

We had that problem at my TV station. We run all-Windows machines.

It turns out that on each machine, the common shared storage device had a different drive name. On one it was M:, on another R:, on a third V:, etc.

After the IT lady got us all looking at the same letter drive, things were fine. Maybe a similar thing applies to Mac networks.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: C300 footage imported in to project using one machine, is offline when the project is accessed from other machines connected to same network storage
on Aug 16, 2017 at 8:46:44 am

Hey Dave just realised I never responded to this. We never did find a solution that I can remember. The macs didn't have any equivalent to dynamically assigned drive letters so there was no potential point of failure from that. I think what I remember was having to to the import again on each machine for which we intended to use the material. Really annoying. I hope Adobe are watching because C300 is a popular camera, shared storage environments are common and the need to collaborate on work is important so if you can't open a project on different machines connected to the same shared storage and expect everything to be online then you really lose the ability to effectively collaborate.

Return to posts index

Jody Bruchon
on Aug 20, 2017 at 5:33:27 pm

How do you connect to the storage? Are you using SMB/CIFS or AFP or something else? Premiere relies on the path names being exactly the same to reconnect clips automatically that aren't in the same directory; it sounds like the paths to the files are ending up different. If you can figure out where the network drive is being mounted and the name of that location is different on each machine, you may want to do a workaround on each machine in Terminal by making a symlink to the mountpoint which normalizes that path component and enables Premiere to find the data.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]