FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues Creating and Attaching Proxies w/Audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Warren
Issues Creating and Attaching Proxies w/Audio
on May 1, 2017 at 9:15:36 pm

I am in search of a solution that I have been trying to troubleshoot for some time now.

I am trying to resolve an issue I've been having when my full rez footage has audio recorded. I cannot attach or create proxies because I cannot get the audio information to remain consistent from Raw to Proxy.

This is creating HUGE headaches. I've attempted to create my own ingest preset but none-of the settings are matching with how to RAW footage was shot. Usually we capture audio externally, but even the wild audio recorded to camera never matches the info on the proxy preset, which results in not being able to attach a proxy to the raw.

I'm interested in hearing all or any experiences similar and if a solution was found. I appreciate your thoughts!

*I am running PP 2015.3 on Windows 10*

Scott Warren
Editor - Post Production Pro
Sneaky Big Studios
swarren@sneakybig.com

Return to posts index

Fred Miller
Re: Issues Creating and Attaching Proxies w/Audio
on May 1, 2017 at 10:31:14 pm

I had similar experiences when this feature was released and finally gave up. The main problem was that I get footage from a lot of different shooters and although you can insist on shooting to a specific spec you don't always get it. So sometimes the audio is in stereo 2 tracks, sometimes mono 8 tracks (and only one track actually being used) etc. I spent a day trying to get the right proxy settings made and finally decided it wasn't worth it. PP would make the proxies and everything would be great until you opened up the project the next day and none of the proxies would connect becuase the "audio did not match the source file." Even though my proxy settings were exactly the same as the source. Why Premiere Pro doesn't just come with a generic proxy setting that automatically uses exactly the same audio that is on the source I do not know. I too really wish I could get a solution to this problem and thus make what could be a very usefull feature actually useable.

Adobe CC17
MacPro (Late 2013)
2.7 Ghz 12 Core
64 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D700

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 2, 2017 at 11:31:53 am

you just have to match the number of audio channels. a lot of smaller codecs can't handle many channels. cineform, I think can.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 2, 2017 at 2:22:49 pm

It's true that proxies only work if the proxy file matches the audio channels of the originating file. The process is a bit cumbersome but you can make custom ingest presets in Media Encoder for each type of raw file that you want to make.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on May 2, 2017 at 4:16:32 pm

Greg and Chris are correct. The current implementation of Proxy requires that the Full Res and Proxy have matching audio channels.

We'd like to make this process smoother and easier to handle in the future. If you have any thoughts on how you would like to it get implemented please share here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Stu Mannion
on Jan 17, 2018 at 11:32:41 am

Wow this is particularly bad programming Adobe. I now have a 20 min edit that I can't reattach the original media to. Proxies that PP created itself automatically actually don't work.

How can I fix this problem?

I was interested in trying Davinci before but now I'm determined to get away from PP after yet another software fuckup

Return to posts index

Evan Newman
on Jul 25, 2017 at 5:32:33 pm

Here's my go-to proxy solution. I've done some tinkering to my workflow to make this function.

Instead of using Media Encoder for Proxy generation, download a free version of Da Vinci Resolve.

Load all of your media in. Select all your files.

Click File menu > Media Management,

Select TRANSCODE: Here you can batch transcode media.

(Pick a new destination so it won't amend the filenames of your Proxies.)

Here's the important part: Under AUDIO:
--Render "SAME AS SOURCE" Channels of Audio

This will generate proxies with your desired codec, but if your channels vary camera to camera, scene to scene, day to day etc, it should reflect those changes.

Return to posts index

Tomek Cobas
on Jan 4, 2018 at 12:57:27 am

Premiere CC2018 Still cant attach proxies with mismatched audio.

But what is intriguing in all of this is that presets that are provided with premiere (on windows) namely the cineform gorpo proxy ingest presets are capable of creating Proxy files with matching audio.

So when I have lets say 2 diferent files, one with audio and the other without audio. If I select them, (Inside Premiere) right click and create proxy using cineform preset. Premiere will send the job to AME and AME will create one file with audio and the second one without audio. So there clearly is way to Encode a file in AME With - matching audio. I just cant seem to figure out how to create such a preset on my own. I have tried to "reverse engeneer" those presets to create a Dnx Preset for creating proxies but with no luck.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 17, 2018 at 4:09:32 pm

[Tomek Cobas] " I just cant seem to figure out how to create such a preset on my own."

Adobe doesn't make it easy but it can be done.

Look at this video starting around 13mins. It's a good overview. But this video doesn't go into detail about audio settings. When you create your encoding preset, make sure you customize your audio channels to whatever number you have in your raw media.
And if you have multi channel mono tracks in your raw media, you'll need to select an encoding codec that allows for multi channel audio customization . Also, after you create your ingest preset, export it out of encoder and save it somewhere that's easy to navigate to. Then when you select make proxies in Premiere, select "add ingest preset" and steer to where you saved your ingest preset.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Tomek Cobas
on Jan 17, 2018 at 5:29:28 pm

I think You missed the point, or did not read my entire post.

The point is that Presets in media encoder do not allow for creating passthrough audio. (like for video settings - "based on source) hence the need to create separate preset for every audio channel variation you media happen to be.

What is strange to me is that while such a preset cannot be created within AME. Ingest presets provided with premiere out of the box (cineform proxy presets) - are able to do that. Whatever you throw at them they will perform audio encoding based on source file - (no need for specifying number of audio channels). So Premiere has that capability, But presets to acheive that cannot be build from end user perspective. Either that or im missing something.

as You mentioned The video You linked does not go into audio.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 17, 2018 at 6:09:34 pm

Tomek, sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought you were having confusion as to how to build and implement a custom ingest preset in general.

Yes, it seems that for the moment it remains a manual operation instead of automatic.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Evgeny Magata
on May 7, 2018 at 9:11:03 pm

I found this thread trying to figure out what the problem with proxy creation in the project I am working on is in cc18. The project contains 8 audio channel fs7 footage which transcoded fine on ingest. Now I added some gh5 footage to the project ( which contain a stereo audio track). I selected "proxy > create proxies" for the gh5 footage and there were no audio options in the proxy creation settings, just the format options of which I chose cineform in a mov container. Media encoder spins up, renders but then premiere can't connect the proxies. I checked with Mediainfo, the number of tracks and format of proxies and raw footage is identical (as far as I can see) but still it complains about a different number of audio tracks. Is this function entirely broken or what exactly might cause premiere to believe there is a different number of audio tracks?

Return to posts index

Austin Reeves
on May 20, 2018 at 2:20:57 pm

So I am sitting here working on a project that includes 3 different cameras. They are:

RED Weapon Helium S35 (4ch Audio)
Sony FS7 (8ch Audio)
OSMO X5 Pro (1ch Stereo Audio)

As others have said you have to match the Audio Settings. Because I shoot a lot of stuff in true 2.40 aspect, I bypassed all the presets in media encoder and built my own QT h264 proxy presets and duplicated them, one for each audio setup. KEEP IN MIND IF PREMIERE BRINGS IN AUDIO AS A STEREO FILE, YOU MUST DUPLICATE THAT IN THE PROXY. For the FS7 I have one proxy setup for 8ch, and the RED has one setup for 4ch. All have not only autoconnected after Media Encoder finsihed, I have since moved the files and reattached them. All seemlessly and have spot checked files 20+ mins into a take and they are all frame accurate to audio and video.

I hope this helps!

Austin Reeves
Cinematographer
austinreeves.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]