FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL to NTSC audio dilemma...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Turner
PAL to NTSC audio dilemma...
on Apr 25, 2017 at 4:41:26 pm

Can anyone help? I'm trying to convert a short, shot at PAL 25fps, to NTSC 23.976fps for stateside screening.

I want to maintain quality as much as possible, so I've conformed the video using AE (and uncompressed QT files) to 23.976fps (accepting the duration change), reimported that into Premiere and created a 23.976fps timeline. I exported a WAV from Premiere at 16-bit 48kHz, brought it into Audition and applied a speed change (maintaining audio pitch) to the new duration, resulting in a 104.16% increase. I exported that, again at 16-bit 48kHz, imported it into Premiere and added it to my 23.976fps timeline.

The project pane is recording the correct length for the new audio file - 00:27:03:17 - but when I add it to the timeline, it comes in at 00:27:02:01. The original WAV from Premiere was 00:25:58:18, as was the original QT video file prior to conforming.

I've tried everything, and searched everywhere. I'm figuring it's sample rate related. Am I being a doofus here? Do I have no choice but to go for a pitched down version of the original soundtrack? The only way I can achieve this, it seems, is by creating the speed change on the Premiere timeline itself, which I'm guessing won't do as good-a job as Audition.

I've been tearing my hair out for two days, and had little enough to spare to begin with!

Tom.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
Re: PAL to NTSC audio dilemma...
on Apr 26, 2017 at 9:23:55 pm

The issue you have is that the time-altered audio track is 00:27:02:01 rather than 00:27:03:17?

That is an error of 00:00:01:16, or 0.00061614295 (0.06%). I'm thinking that might be simply a rounding error, and shouldn't affect sync.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the difference in length. Is the lip sync off significantly near the end of your video?

The process you've described sounds like it should have worked.

Christopher Smith

CBN International

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
Re: PAL to NTSC audio dilemma...
on Apr 27, 2017 at 2:04:26 am

For over 20 years, I've always done frame rate conversions through a hardware box like a Teranex. No problems whatsoever. I always found software conversions problematic. If you can find a facility who do conversions, would solve your headache. Shouldn't cost much either and would be well worth your cash.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]