FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro CS6 runs slow on brand new iMac

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Batt
Premiere Pro CS6 runs slow on brand new iMac
on Apr 25, 2017 at 2:02:05 pm

I bought a new iMac in order to do my editing using Premiere Pro CS6. However I'm currently trying to edit and it struggles with playback. It constantly has Media Pending over the clips, or a black screen and struggles to keep up, pausing at certain points.

I thought the iMac would be able to cope with it. I was using a two year old MacBook Pro and that did okay with it, however this iMac is more powerful. I looked at the system requirements for CS6 and it meets them. Is there anything I can try?

These are the iMac specs:-

macOS Sierra v10.12.4
Retina 4K
Processor- 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory- 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics- Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536MB

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Premiere Pro CS6 runs slow on brand new iMac
on Apr 25, 2017 at 2:57:10 pm

In part I am guessing the video chips are less than ideal. It sounds like it might be on-the-motherboard graphics.

Another thought is what type of media files you are operating with vis-a-vis CS6. You may be working with media that has left CS6 behind, so to speak. But that is only a guess, of course.

I'd look first at the lack of an approved video card.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Apr 25, 2017 at 4:33:33 pm

Where is your media? Is it on a RAID or on the internal drive?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Apr 25, 2017 at 6:06:18 pm

You should try the latest version of Premiere (through Creative Cloud). CS6 is pretty old at this point (built for OS 10.8 if I'm not mistaken), and you're running 10.12. And Jon is probably right... You may be working with media that CS6 isn't great at decoding, but the newest version probably is.

Premiere has improved IMMENSELY since CS6. CC 2017 is incredibly fast. And you can get it free for 30 days. Worth trying!

But if you're adamant about sticking with CS6, let us know what type of media you're dealing with. You might need to convert to a proxy for playback to work correctly.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Apr 25, 2017 at 9:36:42 pm

Actually could be an issue with CS6 on Sierra. If you're set with CS6, you might want to go back to El Capitan. Also, I read somewhere there was an issue with Java on Sierra not working well with CS6, you may need a legacy version of Java. Do a search on that.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]