FORUMS: list search recent posts

Someone claiming my video as theirs...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suz Rizza
Someone claiming my video as theirs...
on Apr 23, 2017 at 10:47:08 pm

Okay I'm not sure where to post this question but I've created a video for a client and everything was good throughout (Finishing Video, Payment, etc) This video was just a sizzle reel for their product, they hired another video production company to create a Kickstarter video for them (Which looks way Pro than mine). Keep in mind, I'm just a one-man band. I went to check out the Kickstarter video and thought the video production company was pretty cool and then I went on their youtube page and FOUND THE SIZZLE REEL, I CREATED, ON THEIR YOUTUBE CHANNEL. So my question is how should I let them know that "I" created that video and I would like for them to take it down. I was thinking about calling them so they won't ignore my emails but idk... My video is seriously not as good as theirs but claiming my video as theirs.. not cool... :/

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: Someone claiming my video as theirs...
on Apr 24, 2017 at 12:19:39 pm

Youtube definitely has rules about using other people's videos. I've never had the problem of people stealing my own videos, probably because they're so awesome no one would believe that anybody but the incomparable Duke Sweden created them, but there must be a procedure for letting them know.

On the other hand, the company paid you for the video so technically it belongs to them, and if THEY gave permission for it to be used, as sleazy as that is, I don't know if you can do anything about it, unless you specifically retained the copyright. If you want I'll gladly go to that video and add the comment "Created by Suz Rizza", because I hate injustice, and also because I like to break balls.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 24, 2017 at 1:41:32 pm

Hi....

I also don't think there would be any problem representing your work as part of your own reel or portfolio.
You might burn is a bug noting that it was work you did for that particular client.

It might actually give you some cred to show where your work was used.....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Suz Rizza
on Apr 26, 2017 at 1:55:34 am

Hey Budyy! Took your advice and reported the video on Youtube! It took a day for them to take it down ☺ Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Apr 24, 2017 at 4:25:37 pm

Don't panic. Start a dialog with the other company. It may just be a miscommunication. Talk first.

Unless you transferred the full copyright to your client, technically you still own it and can prevent anyone else from using it. This is where it is a very good idea to have these ownership issues spelled out in a signed contract with your client.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]