FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU acceleration problems in Premiere Pro CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Goor
GPU acceleration problems in Premiere Pro CC
on Apr 23, 2017 at 2:11:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me with the issues I've been having.
Recently I build myself a new rig with these specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 1700 (no overclock present)
GPU: Asus Strix RX 470 4GB
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz @2666Mhz (Ryzen still doesn't quite like high speeds it seems)
Mobo: Asus Prime X370-Pro
SSD: Samsung 960 256GB <--- Where I edit my footage from

Latest Adobe Premiere Pro CC build is installed

I made a new project (about 1 minute length) with test footage in the .R3D format, and tried to export that footage with some color correction applied and some basic video transitions in between. The playback was pretty awful and would stop half way most of the time. I was using GPU acceleration (openCL) the entire time and the playback was choppy at best. The real problem started to happen when I tried exporting this project using the media encoder program. Encoding this 1 minute timeline took a whopping 45 minutes using openCL, whereas my older intel build with these speccs;

CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: intel HD4600 (integrated)
RAM: 4 x4GB
Mobo: MSI z97 Gaming 5
SSD: (Same as the above)
Latest Adobe PremierePro CC build is also installed

would do it in 25 seconds, give or take. This was also using OpenCL. I have been running a hardware monitor when I started playback or encoding and it would show me 100% GPU usage when the image started stuttering in playback or while rendering, followed by a huge drop in percentage when the playbackl or encoding resumed. The strange thing is that when I use the 'software only rendering' option I have no problems at all. It's slower(1 minute and 25seconds) compared to what GPU accelaration should be in this case, but it works.

I tried Sony Vegas Pro(trial) to see if any stuttering occured in it as well, and this was indeed the case.
I also made a new project with some simple 1080p footage to see if it would make a difference, but alas the stuttering remained.
Last but not least, I did a clean install for my RX470 drivers using the step by step guide on the adobe forums, but to no avail.

I have a few projects coming up after some down time, and I can't really afford to waste more time troubleshooting this so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: GPU acceleration problems in Premiere Pro CC
on Apr 24, 2017 at 1:50:45 pm

One thing I want to check - the SSD you mention your media is on. Is that your C:\ drive, with your OS and apps? If it is, that is an issue.

If not, I can only make general suggestions. What on the system has changed from when performance was good, and now not-so-good?

One or more of those changes might be the issue.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2015.02 (as of 6/2016)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Brian Goor
on Apr 24, 2017 at 2:46:24 pm

Thanks for your response Jon!
My OS and apps are installed on different drives, so I don't think that's the problem. I was able to borrow an Nvidia 1060 card from a friend today, and I will be testing it tonight to see if it makes any difference in performance when using CUDA instead of openCL.

This build is about 5 days old and I've been having these problems since day one. My former intel build had the OS and apps as well as the footage on the same drive and I did not encounter any problems this way either. I know most people advice against this, but I would like to know why this is actually ☺

I will post my findings in an update in this post later on if anything changes by using the GTX 1060. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Brian Goor
on Apr 24, 2017 at 9:17:06 pm

I just wanted to make a quick update here as promised, in case anyone here was having the same issues as me.
I used my friends GTX 1060 and CUDA instead of openCL and it seems to have solved my problems.
No more stuttering, neither in playback nor when rendering ☺ Nvidia cards seem to be the way to go for my system!

Thanks again Jon for trying to help me!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Apr 30, 2017 at 11:32:07 pm

For others who may stumble across this in the future:
OpenCL = AMD GPU's
CUDA = Nvidia GPU's
Metal = Mac Only API allowing more direct connection to the core video code of OS X.

The cards you listed above in your original post wouldn't benefit from any of these languages. The ASUS card is severely underpowered to be debayering R3D files on the fly. The Inter integrated GPU (i.e. a graphics card that's integrated into the motherboard as a cost savings approach for laptops or inexpensive computes) is likely a step down from even the ASUS card.

Switching to the Nvidia card and running CUDA gives you the possibility of realtime playback depending on a host of other factors. Other factors would include - disk drive speed, CPU, RAM amount/speed, what FX you're running on the timeline, etc.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]