FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alternative to Audition?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James McCosh
Alternative to Audition?
on Apr 23, 2017 at 8:42:09 am

I have various audio editors on my system, including Audacity and Gold Wave, so I am reluctant to shell out for Adobe Audition.

Now, as I select "Edit in Adobe Audition" in Premiere Pro it invokes an inappropriate program, not one of the above.

Does anyone know how to make PP choose a useful editor?

James

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Alternative to Audition?
on Apr 23, 2017 at 4:36:36 pm

[James McCosh] "Now, as I select "Edit in Adobe Audition" in Premiere Pro it invokes an inappropriate program, not one of the above."

That command sends your project to Audition and AFAIK that command is not customizable. If you need to export your audio to some other audio program you'd probably want to use AAF or OMF export. I don't know if either of those support that kind of workflow.

Return to posts index

James McCosh
on Apr 23, 2017 at 7:57:03 pm

Tero

But if PPro manages to invoke another program when Audition isn't available, there must be something somewhere intercepting the request and making a substitution.

As far as transferring the audio itself, PPro simply creates a .wav file for Audition to open. So, if I can find how to change the program currently substituted, which is an audio application but not an editor, I could use one I already have.

I'm only actually trying to make life a little easier. In fact I can select "Generate Audio Waveform" which produces the .wav file. Then run Audacity or whatever before returning to PPro and importing the edited result. It's just not elegant!

James

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 23, 2017 at 8:33:26 pm

[James McCosh] "But if PPro manages to invoke another program when Audition isn't available, there must be something somewhere intercepting the request and making a substitution.
"

What program is it actually opening? Also is there an actual reason you don't want to use Audition? It's really easy to move your entire audio edit there and do your mixing there.

Return to posts index

James McCosh
on Apr 23, 2017 at 8:43:38 pm

Tero

It's opening Wave Corrector, which I only use for cleaning up audio captured from 33 1/3 LPs. It cannot respond to a request to open a 32bit float audio file.

I don't want to use Audition because it costs £20 per month, in addition to the rent for Photoshop and Premiere Pro, and I have perfectly serviceable editors already.

James

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 24, 2017 at 1:27:49 pm

Based on what I've read...

I'll assume you are on a Windows Box...

if it's launching some other app...

then it must be thru Windows file type associations....

without knowing what Windows you are on...I can't tell you how to modify it...

but a quick Google would do it...

just FYI there are a couple different levels of integration with audition...

Some is actually Project level integration....that's not going to be possible with anything else...

but for this work...sounds like sound file modification will likely suffice for your needs....

Cheers....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

James McCosh
on Apr 24, 2017 at 5:07:24 pm

Alex

I have tried all the various file and program association settings in Windows. I have tried uninstalling Wave Corrector - PPro made its .wav file but didn't invoke any other program.

It's a mystery to me why I get Wave Corrector when PPro 'thinks' it's calling for Audition. If I could solve that one, maybe I could get another editor.

James

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Apr 27, 2017 at 11:01:58 pm

Hi James,

I like the way you're thinking but unfortunately, only Audition can be used when selecting "Edit in Adobe Audition". As Tero mentioned, if you're noting going to use Audition then you'll need to export an AAF or OMF. We've done lots of work to support Pro Tools but I'm unsure about the compatibility with the other apps mentioned.

All the best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

James McCosh
on Apr 28, 2017 at 7:10:09 am

Pete

But PPro doesn't 'know' that Audition isn't installed so it tries to run it anyway. The question is: how does Windows deal with the request? At the moment it invokes an audio-related program, in my case not a useful one.

Where in depths of Windows is there a reference to that program and its capabilities that makes Windows choose it? I have tried all the user-accessible file and program association pages and delved into the registry but I can't make it out.

Using AAF or OMF is probably overkill for me, Audition is much more capable than an ordinary editor. All I need at the moment is to pass a .wav file to one of the programs I do have. I can make such a file in PPro, then dock PPro and run one to edit the file, then import it back in PPro. But wouldn't it be nice and elegant to go straight there and automatically re-import as would happen if I did have Audition installed?

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]