FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with Nested sequences

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Taylor
Editing with Nested sequences
on Apr 18, 2017 at 8:20:01 pm

Hi,

I am working on a project that incorporates nested sequences within the timeline. As you'd expect, I have taken a number of shots (NO AUDIO) and then 'nested' them into a sequence. In fact, I have several which exist on several video tracks.

As you also would expect this is not the end. The goal is now to edit my master sequence and in my case, trim it down to a shorter length.

This has been straight forward, and I just simply ripple edited all of my tracks to remove the unwanted excess.

This has left me with 'nested sequences' cut in two or in fact several segments.

Now I have been asked to change audio, or/and the cut points, and this changes the length of some of these shots within the nested sequences.

What I discovered was that the nested sequences update throughout each cut up version. So e.g. if I changed lengths in a nested sequence in the third segment, it would affect the sync in previous segments. Basically each new segment is not independent of each other.

If this is how PP works, how have editors worked with complicated footage like this?

M

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: Editing with Nested sequences
on Apr 18, 2017 at 10:05:17 pm

if you have a nested sequence that is used several times in a project and you might have to change one of the nests then i make copies. that way you can change copy 1 and not affect copy 2 etc.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 19, 2017 at 2:02:45 pm

Yep...Jerry is absolutely right!

from the Project point of view...

Nest usage is a one to many relationship. (call it "instances")

change the nest...changes happen everywhere the nest is instanced (referred to) in other sequecnes...

if you need independent control...

dupe the nest sequence in the project panel....NAME IT MEANINGFULLY for the reason you're editing...and then use that new version version without affecting the others....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

Marcus Taylor
on Apr 24, 2017 at 5:30:09 pm

I will try this method. It makes sense.

**** ALSO

- I need to see the TCs of the clips within the Nested sequence I am editing.

If I use the Overlays function when I am editing my master sequence, I can only see the Nested Sequences TC, and not the Clip TC.

Is this a feature request or is there a way to use Overlays that show the Clip name or Clip TC?

I suspect they don't offer it since a nested sequence might contain several video tracks and audio tracks....

Thx
M

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 24, 2017 at 6:45:28 pm

a klunky way to do it....

is to apply the timecode effect to the clips in the nested sequence(s).... and configure the way you want...

but you can imagine this could become a bear to enable or disable....

maybe you can apply the time code effect as a source side effect to the original master clips in the project panel...

ten you have one place to go to turn them on and off....

???

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX
Let's Connect on Linkedin
Examples: Retail Automotive Motion Graphics Spots
Example: Customer Facing Explainer Video
Example: Infotainment & Package editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]