FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac Running Out of Memory

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cody Tubbs
iMac Running Out of Memory
on Apr 18, 2017 at 5:18:37 pm

Lately I have been running into an issue where my iMac runs out of Memory when working in Premiere Pro CC2017. I thought it was because I was using 4K .mov files so I created Proxies and am using those to edit however I still am dropping down to below 2GB of RAM and Premiere freezes up causing all my other applications to lock up as well.

What I now believe the issue is would be Sequences within Sequences. Seems whenever I try to adjust a Sequence on another Sequence, my computer runs out of Memory.

Is anyone else having this issue and have you found a workaround? Or is this a bug within Premiere?

Here are my operating specs.
- iMac 5K, 27", Late 2014, v.10.11.6 with 32GB of RAM, 4GHz i7 Processor and AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096mb Processor
- Adobe Premiere CC 2017.0.2

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: iMac Running Out of Memory
on Apr 18, 2017 at 11:05:55 pm

How many other applications are open at the same time and when was the last time you shut down this machine?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cody Tubbs
on Apr 20, 2017 at 7:03:04 pm

That was my first step, I closed out of every other application. Then shutdown and restarted my machine. Then, I made sure only Premiere was open however I still ran into that same issue. I also checked my activity monitor and I have no background memory hogs.

Another step I took was adjusting the dedicated RAM reserved for other applications within Premiere. At first I only had 3GB of RAM dedicated to other applications so Premiere was running on 29GB of my available 32GB. Then I changed that to 10GB reserved for other applications. Still no solution to the issue. Also I optimized the rendering for "Memory".

Thanks,

Cody Tubbs
- TubbsMedia Productions
- http://www.TubbsMedia.com

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on Apr 20, 2017 at 8:27:43 pm

Check out this thread I started 3 years ago:
https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/957622

Dennis's note about the number of assets was the answer. I created a new project and only imported my most recent sequence and that eliminated assets I didn't need. When I bought my own machine, I went with a Mac Pro and put 64GB of RAM in it for this very reason. Long-form edits, particularly documentaries, have a lot of assets so the 32GB limit on the iMac is a bit of a problem.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

Return to posts index

Cody Tubbs
on Apr 26, 2017 at 8:36:57 pm

Hey thanks for the idea about trying to start a new project with only my most recent assets, however that did not work... I am still having issues with sequences inside sequences. When I try to adjust anything on a sequence within a sequence, Premiere locks up and sucks all my machines memory and my whole computer freezes.

This wouldn't be such of an issue if I could find a workaround for sequences within a sequence but other than exporting that clip and bringing it into my working sequence I do not know what else to try.

Thanks tho,

Cody Tubbs
- TubbsMedia Productions
- http://www.TubbsMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]